Is today’s contemporary music lacking?

I listen to various genres of music, and I am a big fan of rock/pop from the 1950s to today.

When I turn in the radio to hear new pop/rock songs, I often hear “monotonous” verses with minimal melody repeated again and again (4x) then the chorus not quite matching the music of the verses. The artist seems to try using a good voice trying to make the song sound good but these songs seem to lack a good “melody”. Anybody else notice this?

Also, because pop/rock music is well established, is it more difficult nowadays to create new good melodies - are artists running out of creative ideas?  This thought has often crossed my mind whenever I hear another song remake.
kennyc
"I think any comment about “the music of today” being somehow inferior or lacking is lazy, complacent and phenomenally ignorant. This from the generation which prided itself on its open mindedness"

Yes, and. . .  each generation has its strengths and weaknesses and has a tendency to be blind to varying degrees to seeing the strengths of other generations. 
@stuartk: Oh yeah, I get No Depression emails several times a week. I also have a complete collection of the printed version of the mag, which I have been reading since it's inception in the 1990's. That title is taken from Uncle Tupelo's debut album. UT was of course Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy's first band, the two eventually going their separate ways and starting Son Volt and Wilco. Wilco has enjoyed greater success, but I prefer Son Volt.
This opinion probably won't be welcomed but I believe my fellow Boomers who never look beyond radio play and then complain that "there's no good music" are just being lazy.
Ha, I think I'm busted.  I'm a 61 boomer who hasn't gotten beyond the radio to stumble upon the latest hits.  Besides some audio forums, I do not participate in social media.  I have no clue how to find the latest good contemporary pop/rock music.  I do know my 19yr old son doesn't like some of the latest music and uses Spotify.  Guess I'll Google how to find good contemporary music.  Any suggestions welcome. 
Guess I'll Google how to find good contemporary music. Any suggestions welcome.

Streaming is the way to find good new and old music.  You want a controller app or software that makes suggestions for music that you may like based on the music you listen to. Roon and Innuos are good at this from what I've read.
The same three guys write all the songs. Do a search you will see. Do another, find the same few chords used over and over again. Don't even get me going on the lyrics.  

Then go find Sinatra-Basie. Listen to the whole album. There's a reason why a whole room of audiophiles sat spellbound through a whole side of this, and could talk of little but their amazement for a good while after. 

"Music" today is big business, and the music industry has settled on the business model of McDonald's. Stream. Sheesh. You want fries with that?