Within a 30 day trial with Van Alstine SET 400; seeking comparisons

I’m in the process of auditioning the AVA SET 400 from Frank Van Alstine. This is not meant as a replacement for my tube amps, which I love, but an alternative to listen to and, if I get more demanding speakers or start a second system, a solid state amp would be the nucleus. I am using a tube preamp (Quicksilver line stage) and an R2R DAC (MHDT Orchid) and either a streamer or CD transport as the front end. Speakers are Salk SS6Ms (8 ohm, 87 db, stand mounts). I am auditioning mostly without my REL sub on.

Impressions: so far I like it; it has plenty of power, is nicely, simply finished. It apparently runs in Class A for the first 10 watts or so and delivers 225 wpc into 8 ohms.The ability to bring out a very clearly defined bass is outstanding; mids and highs are accurate without being edgy. I thought there might be a bit more warmth in the midrange. The soundstage is good from left to right; depth-wise, it’s narrower than my tubes and as for the 3-D quality of instruments in the soundstage, well, that’s pretty much been reduced. It’s like the difference between looking at an amazing image on an OLED TV vs. looking at a statue with a spotlight on it (with the tubes).

I’ve never had the chance to listen to a really good solid state amp — a Sugden or Pass or Belles, etc. As you can tell, I’m not expecting to replicate the sound of tubes with the solid state, but I know they can have very different flavors. I’m not sure what that range of flavors is like; maybe there is no greener grass, but I want to probe that, now.

So, my question — has anyone had the chance to compare the AVA SET amps (or other AVA solid state amps) with other, warmish solid state amps? Any impressions you can share?

I suppose I might go as high as about $3k on the amp. The reason I went with AVA was because my suspicion is that at this price point (roughly $2.2k) it’s very hard to beat.

I’m more inclined to keep than jump ship on this amp. But that is also the easiest path -- to just talk myself into it. I am going to continue to listen, let it get some playtime, accommodate myself to its sound, etc. The reason I’m asking now is that there is a window of time here to consider other possibilities and once that window is closed, I’ll be a married man. (Until an expensive divorce.)
128x128hilde45
IF you can find one an ARC HD-220 will rock your 3D world. Also consider the Aesthetix and Ayre.

Frank makes great gear strictly engineered to a price point. Always good sonics.
@arcticdeth No recent experiences with better solid state to report. I'll try an Ayre or Hegel etc. soon, but I'm building a media room.
In a review a few years ago, Doug Schroder compared the Belles Aria monoblocs (with Aria Preamp) to the AVA products, probably because they are comparable in price and performance.  He concluded that they are very similar but the Belles had a bit more life, sizzle, however you want to say it.  I have a Belles Aria integrated, and understand what he means about the sound.  So, I got the monoblocs, and paired them with several tube preamps, but so far haven't gotten the same lively sound as the integrated,  Today I expect to receive a Belles Aria preamp, and am hopeful it, combined with the monoblocs, will deliver that sound, but better.  We'll see.
I've owned the Aria preamp+monoblock combo for a while, and find it excellent.  It sounded good from the getgo, but took a very long time to reach top performance.  I don't know if you believe in break-in or not, but all I can report is that one day well after I thought any settling would be over, the combo suddenly started sounding better, and has continued like that to this day.

The Arias are now destined for the second system, as I've recently got Van Alstine DVA M225 monoblocks, his most recent creation, which surpass all his previous amp designs.  They are very good and I'm more than content with them.
I have the AVA SET 400 amp for over a year and have been enjoying it very much. I initial had the Odyssey Stratos which was replace by AVA amp. A good improvement. Recently purchased a mini GaN 5 amp which I am auditioning and I am quite shocked how good it sound. Its too early to judge but my initial impression is that it sounds better than the AVA in every respect. I also have the new LSA Voyager GaN 350 on order and would be receiving it very soon. It will be interesting to compare all 3 amps in my system.