What do "audiophiles" use to judge equipment?

The hypothesis: "Audiophiles" are mostly techno-cats who listen with their eyes - they read reviews and look at spec sheets... END. That is my opinion and I'd like to hear from music lovers who do NOT look at the specs; who do not get their info from forums like this - where you cannot HEAR the music but you can READ about the music - well, maybe a few of you can read music, right? Are there any others who trust their own ears and go into a music store and BUY something without the psychological hand-holding of a forum or spec sheet?
cmariner1
Yes, I purchased
  • Moon by Simaudio 280D DAC.  It was a significant upgrade from my Node 2i
  • Rega P8 (previously owned Dual 515CS and Rega RP 1
My ears were pleased and still are...
I would look for a person with no skin in the game who has been
into stereo gear a long time and has hearing that is very good
and become friends. This guy is hard to find.

He may the guy who walks into a store and points out that the
speakers are wired out of phase.

I fear you may have been reading these forums too long.
My mentor told me many times- The stuff you read on line
is wrong over 50% of the time.

How are your divining skills?

Not sounding so simple? 

Specs provide valuable information required to make an informed purchase.  Without specs how would you know which speaker wire is long enough?
Specs can also be misleading and unimportant.  Discerning which spec is truly important takes either a lot of trial and a LOT of error or learning from the resources available.
I suspect that a lot of the people on this and other related forums do read music and trust their own ears and the ears of the more experienced.
To me the hobby is the journey not the destination.  It can always sound better,  there is always a new artist their is always information that I'm not aware of.

There you will find repeatedly stated the only two specs worth consideration are speaker sensitivity and phono cartridge output.

How anyone can utter such foolishness and also be taken seriously by even the few on this forum is beyond reasonable comprehension. Using this logic Robert Harley’s book should have been reduced from 596 pages to a paragraph or two.

When I inquired with Keith Herron a few years ago about matching his wonderful VTSP-360 preamp with my existing amp the very first question he asked was about my amp’s input impedance. Why would Keith have been the slightest bit concerned about such a meaningless spec? He apparently knows far less than other posters on this forum.

And why is Kevin Hayes at VAC so obsessed with the performance of his output transformers, putting tons of effort into his current delivery specs and optimizing power delivery into higher and lower impedance speakers? How misguided he must be.

Why does John DeVore believe that the entire load the speaker presents to an amp matters more than speaker sensitivity? He must be confused as well. I really don’t know how these guys ever managed to be so successful while being focused on specs that don’t matter at all.
Like with any other product, there are likely to be different segments of even "audiophile" buyers. My observations of audiophiles is that there are at least several likely "audiophile" segments that have different drivers and processes for purchasing:

1. Specs: purchasing based on how equipment "objectively" measures.
  2. Visuals: purchasing based on how equipment looks. May overlap with the next segment in that impressive visuals might overlap with higher price as a means to impress others.
  3. Higher Price: Based on a perception that higher price = better sound "quality" or higher price = more impressive to others.
  4. Reviews: The latest and greatest well reviewed product is exciting to this crowd.
  5. Listening: Equipment either sounds good or it doesn’t.
IMHO, #5 is the cheapest way to a good sounding system. Expensive equipment doesn’t always sound better. Less expensive equipment doesn’t always sound worse. Lots of good audio values out there if you use your ears.

In terms of reviews, well...I find reviews entertaining, but there's no substitute for listening. Plenty of "well-reviewed" gear has sounded surprisingly bad to me. Perhaps that gear was good from the perspective of "objective" audiophile metrics, but what they produced was not music.