What do "audiophiles" use to judge equipment?

The hypothesis: "Audiophiles" are mostly techno-cats who listen with their eyes - they read reviews and look at spec sheets... END. That is my opinion and I'd like to hear from music lovers who do NOT look at the specs; who do not get their info from forums like this - where you cannot HEAR the music but you can READ about the music - well, maybe a few of you can read music, right? Are there any others who trust their own ears and go into a music store and BUY something without the psychological hand-holding of a forum or spec sheet?
cmariner1
@cmariner1:

"Are there any others who trust their own ears and go into a music store and BUY something without the psychological hand-holding of a forum or spec sheet?"

Are you actually suggesting that walking into a store, sans any prior research and buying gear solely upon a showroom demo, is a smart move? ? ? 

CLEARLY a post just to draw attention and get people to think.... a juvenile and simplistic way of looking at our hobby which we all realize has many variables that go into making a  purchase decision. Try again hombre. 
What was the question again?

Do I trust any one else on the planet? For anything? NO NOT ONE!!

Spec sheet, pictures inside and out.. MAYBE.

If I like the BS they are trying to hand me.. (Usually it's BS, too), I'll listen.. But years ago I settled on what I like and use, very little has changed other than the wrinkle are a little deeper on my end..

5 or six years to try class ds, then 5 more years, that was 6 years ago.
They are pretty good now.. ;-)

Pass designs, Sony ES series SACDs, Mac tube front end, Cary and Mac valve amps (gave up on VTLs), certain class Ds in certain places, Small planars and ribbons, GRs servo bass system (6 years now) and of course direct coupled MB columns..

I'm looking at a STL BIG valve EQ balanced in balanced out. I can add additional TUBE boost (2, 4, or 8 ?) above the +6db -6db in a given region. Great for a step in an OB design..

If know how they are made that's the ONLY reason I consider buying  them. No SEE, NO BUY...

I'll never support potted passive XO either.. If I can't see the OX I'm not buying it.. TRUST NO ONE... :-) X-Files..

Regards
I use my ears ONLY not reviews or Audiogon been doing this before you were born.Good luck!!
I may often buy "sound unseen". But it is purely the long term evaluation that I use to judge a products sound. Often mixing it with other equipment and setups to give it the best opportunity to shine. The only thing that keeps it in the lineup is it's sound quality.