Thoughts? 26' rectangular room -- 2 channel on one short wall, 5.1 on the other

I'm interested in your comments or experience about this proposal to combine 2 channel listening with home theater. I have good tube amps, sources, speakers and another system with a modest AVR and A/V capable speakers. I have plenty of subs.

Here's the situation:

I'm about to finish out a basement that is 26' x 16' x 8'.
I was thinking of trying to have the 2 channel on one wall and the A/V on the other wall.
Two couches, back to back, would divide the room and the mid point.

Doing it this way, I would get the 2 channel set up to optimize the sound, hopefully in conjunction with the home theater, which would only need to accommodate a 65" OLED TV.

I've posted a photo of a diagram (including ideas about dedicated lines — comments welcome there, too) on my system page: https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9064/edit

The other way to do it would to be to have everything on one wall. I'm less inclined to do things this way.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
128x128hilde45
IF you want an integrated high quality 2 channel with a HT,

you need HT BYPASS

on your 2 channel preamp or integrated amp. It is an INPUT, it takes the AVR’s FL and FR output directly to it’s amps. The AVR controls the front volume along with center/surround volume speakers that it drives.

Thus the better equipment ALWAYS drives the FL and FR (any source 2 CH or AVR and always drives the FL and FR speakers.

I had it backward, soix and others set me straight big greg’s diagram quite helpful

big_greg4,837 posts07-14-2021 9:32am
Why HT Bypass? Shortage of Inputs?
Why? Because of space limitations I have a combined 2 channel / home theater system. I don’t want to use the AV processor for two channel listening.

When listening to 2 channel, it looks like this: Source --> Preamp --> Amp --> Speakers.

The HTBP allows me to use the same amps and speakers for the front two channels. The volume control on the preamp is disabled and the signal from the source goes to the AV processor, which controls volume, room correction, etc.

When listening to home theater, it looks like this: Source --> AV processor --> L/R outputs --> Preamp --> Amp --> Speakers.

As the name implies, the signal bypasses the AV processor and goes to the amps/speakers with the simple push of a button, allowing you to share the amps for the front speakers between two separate systems.
maxwave

acoustically, dividing the room makes a ’rear wall’ right behind you, earlier reflections even if diffused

and dividing limits the space others can enjoy, audibly and visibly. I or a friend and I sit in the mid focused ’imaging’ spot when listening, meanwhile Donna is behind on the sofa. others in chairs (video end, video off),

imaging limited to prime spot, yet the sound is very good anywhere in the large room, and without a divider the music can go out to the porch, bounce around corners into the kitchen ...

my somewhat large room (nj not texas standards) is the feature that turns this small split level house into a winner. When I visit houses, i.e. ’Open Houses’, often a much bigger home does not have a room that works as well.

OP is planning a basement, more easily divided temporarily, while mine is a light filled space (luckily with easy light control for video during a bright day).
@elliottbnewcombjr   
Sorry, I should have specified that my post was for the OP

By the way , I use an integrated amplifier with a HTB  and it is 
fine with me.
maxwave,

I should have waited till Hilde responded to your suggestion, sorry, just got caught up with my thoughts about it.

I just learned about HT Bypass, it’s a very good idea for a single integrated system. In the past, I would have benefitted. New Video System: I would definitely get AVR with FL & FR Preout, and then try and keep or return a 2 CH Front Stereo System with HT Bypass. 

Someday I may upgrade my HT with new 2 channel front system, it would be for better quality 5.1, not for 2 CH, that exists other end of the room.

I could pull out my PC (needed before Smart TV’s), and the idle VHS (kept for the wedding tape, and all my illegal Mike Tyson Boxing Tapes I don’t watch), to make room for an Integrated Amp next to the/an AVR.

Coordination of TV/Blu-Ray/AVR/2CH remotes would be of paramount consideration.

How do you handle your remotes now?

OP, others

HT BYPASS is an INPUT on the separate Preamp or Integrated Amp

The AVR must have PREOUT for FL and FR to go to that input

my Sony AVR doesn’t have PREOUT

https://electronics.sony.com/tv-video/tv-video-home-theater-sound-bars/av-receivers/p/strdn1080

so I would need to change both for 'how much better' if just for Video Content (5.1 or 2 CH)???

I’m done with ’Theoretically Better’ after buying/trying/selling Oppo BDP-105. It couldn’t better sound in 2 ch system, couldn’t better video or sound in 5.1 system. Research, buy, drill holes, balanced cables, wife in the crawl space, rca cables, equip in/out, list, sell, lost a few hundred.

@elliottbnewcombjr

My Integrated amp. with HTB , my HT processor , my DAC/Streamer and my cable TV  , have apps that I use with my IPad.