What will you pay for a new LP?

When I started collecting LP’s in the 60’s I paid $2 to $4, choosing from a bin at the neighborhood market. Considering the limited space, they had a surprisingly good selection including Rock & Roll, my preference at the time. A kid then, I had decent cash flow from a paper route.

Records (I don’t care for the term “vinyl”) have gone up in price since then like everything else. In today’s dollars, those $2 or $4 Long Play records cost $17 to $35. You can get unlimited streaming for less than that. Used records can be cheap(er) but collector grade are expensive.

New releases seem to range from $17 to $25 for a standard 150gram and $35 and up for 180/200g reissues. Audiophile labels can go much higher, the Mobile Fidelity One Step 45rpm series list for $125. Colored vinyl too.

I have an ample LP collection and only buy a few new releases each year. I like to play what I have and don’t hear much new music I want to own. I buy a reissue occasionally to replace a noisy record but it’s a gamble on fidelity, sometimes the sound is not as good as the original was.

I did get a wild hair and bought a 45rpm One Step, kinda choking on the $125 price. I wanted to see what the fuss is about and determine if it was worth it. It does sound impressive-and quiet! I was disappointed to find a noisy patch on one record, which the vendor replaced without question and without requiring me returning the bad sample. Will I buy another one? Maybe, if they offer something I really like.

What are your thoughts on album purchases?

128x128bslon
Post removed 
I think records are way overpriced - yet I buy,  It does hurt every time though - a slight jab in the chest. And then there's all the disappointing near mint buys from Ebay and Discogs - seldom are they near mint.  On the bright side, there are occasional surprises from the local used record store - such as Van Morrison's  His Band and the Street Choir and Wilco's Wilko Schmilko. Even the used decent records cost above $20. I usually pay anywhere from $25-$35 for regular new albums.
I paid $100 for the new Analog Productions UHQR of Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue and its worth every penny. I also got the MoFi One Step of Mingus Ah Um and the Impex One Step of Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue. These were exceptions to my budget but all worth the asking price to me. Whether its LPs or cables or components, its a personal choice as are regrets.