What will you pay for a new LP?

When I started collecting LP’s in the 60’s I paid $2 to $4, choosing from a bin at the neighborhood market. Considering the limited space, they had a surprisingly good selection including Rock & Roll, my preference at the time. A kid then, I had decent cash flow from a paper route.

Records (I don’t care for the term “vinyl”) have gone up in price since then like everything else. In today’s dollars, those $2 or $4 Long Play records cost $17 to $35. You can get unlimited streaming for less than that. Used records can be cheap(er) but collector grade are expensive.

New releases seem to range from $17 to $25 for a standard 150gram and $35 and up for 180/200g reissues. Audiophile labels can go much higher, the Mobile Fidelity One Step 45rpm series list for $125. Colored vinyl too.

I have an ample LP collection and only buy a few new releases each year. I like to play what I have and don’t hear much new music I want to own. I buy a reissue occasionally to replace a noisy record but it’s a gamble on fidelity, sometimes the sound is not as good as the original was.

I did get a wild hair and bought a 45rpm One Step, kinda choking on the $125 price. I wanted to see what the fuss is about and determine if it was worth it. It does sound impressive-and quiet! I was disappointed to find a noisy patch on one record, which the vendor replaced without question and without requiring me returning the bad sample. Will I buy another one? Maybe, if they offer something I really like.

What are your thoughts on album purchases?

128x128bslon
"I did get a wild hair and bought a 45rpm One Step, kinda choking on the $125 price."

I haven't tried a One Step yet. Most of the reports seem to be positive. At $125, a little steep for my budget. Wherever you purchased it, the vendor sounds like the kind I like shopping with.

I thought I thought I was going over the deep end paying $150 for a sealed Zeppelin Physical Graffiti years ago. The 2nd disc had a disappointing stitchy intro of "In the Light".
Couple of weeks later I found a cheap used copy with a near perfect disc 2 and QUIET intro.

I'm about the period press found for CHEAP. Though getting more difficult these days. Then it's cross my fingers when it's played. Always a crap shoot.

Like your no nonsense VPI Classic. Mine is 10 years old.
@tablejockey 

VPI Classic, nice turntable! I had a HW19mkIII for 16 years before upgrading.