Phono cartridge torque wrench

Hi Guys & Gals

Do any of you use a torque wrench when tightening your cartridge to your tonearm or do you just use a regular screwdriver or Allen key? 

Thank you
Scot
scothurwitz
You're torquing a securement. Not a cart. Dose that make better sense?

The torque spec is for the actual nut, bolt and washers. The SIZE, number and grade of bolt determined just how secure the pieces are bound together.. Even torque applied over many small increments STOPS distortion of pieces. 

It also to stop permanent warpage from uneven torque.. A pulsating brake peddle is a great example of improper torque methods. Rotors are out of lateral.  I just went through it on my Camry. The guy warped the heck out of the front rotors, putting on 4 new tires. I was smokin.. So was the manager at Les Swab. He new exactly what happened.

He ordered two new rotors and had them on in 45 minutes. I bought the guys a pizza. HE LEARNED. The new kid.. 

I backed up and felt it pulling forward within 30 feet. The peddle was going up and down.. THAT BAD...

They all got a lesson on how to use a torque wrench. Cross pattern in 3 separate increments. Took all of 1 minute per wheel.. As fast as you can hear the CLICK 4-10 times depends on the number of lugs..

Regards
Thanks to all for your responses. It is definitely an everything matters OCD issue. I don’t know if there are any published specifications. I think that it may matter whether the torque is equal, rather than the actual number, as long as it is in the reasonable range.

I just purchased a new cartridge which made me think about the very small differences, and how much they matter, when dealing with highly resolving components.

Thanks again for your comments 

Jim Perry
Jim,

This sort of thing is overlooked in all kinds ways in daily life. Just look at the spelling, punctuation online. That's one thing but when it comes to things that matter most like maybe the safety on a gun or the actual trigger pull, then it becomes incredibly different.
 Not that I torque every screw or bolt that I drive but I am cognoscente  when I do, not over driving, yet the force must be sufficient to the job. In some cases, it is just as important that each connector is turned a bit at a time in a pattern that will optimize final result. This was discussed earlier in this thread. This thinking can go on and on depending on the importance of the results.
 BTW, I have a new cartridge coming too, and will be wondering about ALL kinds of things, each on a different axis.