Moving the sweet spot

Moving the sweet spot.

I was just walking behind my sweet spot chair, and I had noticed that I can hear more of the high frequency, just before I arrive in the center of the listening position, then I move back and forth to pinpoint the place. Then I move my chair at that new spot, one foot farther back, one foot to the right, the chair pointing between the middle of the speakers. So, It seems that if I am sitting at the sweet spot, there is a high frequecy cancellation. My room is an open space, and my left ear is not as good as I was young.

audiosens
This is tech talk. Map out your room modes and it will be obvious that cancellation only happens at certain locations that vary by frequency. What happens is the waves reflect off the walls, come back and where they meet they either cancel or reinforce.

This happens all the time everywhere, but really is only audible in rooms with almost all smooth unbroken walls. Because otherwise the waves hit uneven surfaces, bounce off in different directions, and the result is the reflections become diffuse. Which is why surfaces deliberately designed to do this are called diffusers.   

This never happens in as you say "an open space". So we can cross that one off the list and we are left with, "and my left ear is not as good as I was young."

millercarbon,  I think you are right, it happens for most every one of us... with the age.  Thank you
lowrider57, I moved my chair back, opened the angle of the speakers, and re-installed the ByBee QSE under my integrated amp. So now, I have a realy most pleasant sound.  Thank you.
@audiosens, that's great and you're very welcome.
The tweaking you've done is really what I would call speaker placement 101.

You have no idea how many times I've repositioned my speakers a half inch at a time to find the sweet spot for my room. 

audiosens OP
I was just walking behind my sweet spot chair, and I had noticed that I can hear more of the high frequency
You were probably on axis to the tweeter behind the chair and off axis in the chair.
Also use a mirror get your better half to go along the side walls with it against the wall till you see the tweeter in the reflection from your listening chair. Mark those spots on either side and hang something thick and soft there, to stop any secondary tweeter reflections which smear the highs reaching your ear.
You can also do the ceiling (and floor if hard surface) if your up to it.

Cheers George