Benchmark Dac 1 vs Bel Canto Dac 2 ?????????????

My search for a new Dac continues.I would like to hear the comments of members that are familiar with these dacs.Have you A/B ed the two?What did you like/dislike about either? If you own either dac,what else have you listened to, or what other dacs have you owned ? Thanks,Gixerman
gixerman
I have owned them both and the Bel Canto is an order of magnitude superior in playback than the Benchmark (all in my opinion of course). The BC exudes a fluid sound character that is extended and dynamic while the Benchmade, although dynamic and clear, sounds bleached to the point of stridency.

The Bel Canto and, the MF Trivista 21 are two very good relatively low cost dacs. Many people have reported very good results from the Benchmark and, with the right equipment it probably sounds very good. But, I didn't like it.
I can second a positive vote for the DAC 2 as I own it; I can't vouch for Nealhood's opinions on the Benchmark, although in all the threads I have read at Headfi that discuss it people that enjoy it either like what seems to me to be somewhat lifeless and cold (but very "detailed") music or balance it out with a tube stage somewhere.
I also had both DACs in my system. I think they are both excellent DACs equaling those sold for 10 times more just few years back.

The Benchmark sure had more features than you can shake a stick at sub $1k unit price. I used its preamp capability exclusively and enjoyed its clear sound. The Bel Canto DAC2 is more of a brick with almost no control or flexibility but I ended up using it in my system as the main source for CDs. It would be difficult to match the DAC2's sonic virtues when playing the Red Book CDs. I get the widest sound stage and yet very focused imaging at the same time. To my ears, the Benchmark had just as wide sound stage but tad shy on firm imaging which puzzled me for the longest time. With its accurate reproduction of CD source, I just couldn't figure out how it could sound different... Thus, I sold the Benchmark and the Bel Canto is still playing in my setup. Believe me, I'd like to buy a Benchmark DAC1 again someday. It still amazes me that it had not been inflicted with the usual highend audio depreciation-selling close to its new price where as the BC DAC2 is going for close 1/2 of its new price...