Very new to high end audio - Recomendations

Hello, as the title says etc etc.
a few years member of headfi and enjoy my personal mobile setup, but looking into something for the home. This site was suggested as a nice place to look around in.
Knowledge is almost zilch when it comes to speakers/amps etc. 
I'm thinking maybe active speakers and I can line out from my DAP, will that work? How do active speakers perform best? what would work out better if matching prices in active speakers or passive with an amp?
Budget is fairly low, max £1000. Something to introduce me into the scenery. Something nice secondhand (preloved) or if a nifty setup can be bought new at a budget along those lines. Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)
death_block
Check out the Canor amps high end build quality and sound at affordable prices .Tube and solid state. The Audio Hungary makes nice tube amps too. But the dealers got together and jacked up the prices. That is what those positive reviews will do .
Might be a good idea to state the size of the room you intend to put a system in, and what you are looking for in sound? Hi Fi 2 channel only? some home theater ? small room ? etc
What makes a 'loudspeaker' any different to a studio monitor, or bookshelf etc, they look basically the same?
In the old days, monitors were for analysis, loudspeakers for listening.

In the 80's Yamaha NS-10 loudspeakers became ubiquitous pop music small monitors in studios. IMO, sonics suffered from using them. Later Genelec self powered. I never cared for either, monitoring or listening.
@noromance  monitor audio have many good products, bronze br2 on eBay for £95. Any thoughts on the bronze line?Ive also been looking at the KEF LSX.