AUDIO RESEARCH VS VTL

Who is the king of Tube amplification between these two brands?
jeffvegas
I've owned VTL product for 20 years and have had nothing but Top Notch service from them. 
I have always liked the AR chassis. Cool and solid.

About Lyra cartridges, I feel very fortunate to have an Atlas SL.
Unbelievable upgrade from my Myajima Shalabi.
For sonic performance, every experience I’ve had is that VTL blows ARC out of the water. One of the top 3 systems I’ve ever heard was fully powered by VTL into Stenheim Alumine 5 at the Chicago show a couple years ago. Redefined what HiFi could be (but mostly a result of those speakers tbh). 
The questions wasn't about service, it was about which was the best.

That totally depends on system, room, and what equipment you are comparing.

Are you comparing a 50 wpc amp vs a 100 wpc or 200 wpc or 300 wpc amp?  A $2k pre-amp vs a $30 k pre-amp?  

I've noticed on these type of posts, without specific information regarding equipment it is a "I want to bash on a company" issue, not a clean, fair comparison between equipment.

Also, if a comparison isn't in the same system, swapping only that piece and doing an A/B comparison, it really isn't fair.  Hearing a piece in your system and then hearing another piece in an altogether different system and saying you hear marked differences, such that one claims that the original piece is crap is just that.....crap.  because you are hearing not only the completely different system, you are probably hearing at a totally different volume level, in a different room, etc.  totally, not apples to apples.

So, to answer the question.  I have heard some outstanding VTL equipment.  I have also heard some outstanding Audio Research equipment.  VTL does not make crap equipment.  quite the opposite. they make some outstanding equipment.  Same is true for Audio Research.

I can name some other companies that also make outstanding equipment.

So, what are we talking about here?  What piece are you desiring?  pre-amp?  Then what is the price point?  That is where you start in your drive to compare.

Amp?  What is the power level desired?  What speaker loads do you want to drive?  Efficient or not efficient speakers?  Difficult loads, and lastly, what is your price point?

Please be more specific in your desire for comparisons.

I have had zero trouble with my Audio Research equipment, with regards to service and communication with either Audio Research itself or with the authorized Audio Research service center near me.  non whatsoever.   so be careful when you hear from some people.  They just may not like a particular company and like to troll or bash companies.

I do know a few people that have top VTL equipment and although they say the equipment is great, they do complain about customer service.  But, this is entirely second hand for me.  

First criteria is, 1) price point, 2) how does that particular piece sound in my system vs my original piece, 3) where can I get it properly serviced?

Don't take anyone's word for it.  Hear for yourself in your system.

enjoy
I would look at Manley and Atmosphere for moderate pricing as well as value.
VAC is the most sought after US company I think. The owner is a 2nd generation
hail fellow well met person who exudes credibility.