AUDIO RESEARCH VS VTL

Who is the king of Tube amplification between these two brands?
jeffvegas
William Zane Johnson invented the modern tube amplifier and started a company called Audio Research. I have owned 3 ARC power amplifiers including 250SE monoblocks and 160M monoblocks. Audio Research has been extremely responsible and have even repaired out of warranty used amplifiers for me free-of-charge. 

If you have a good relationship with an ARC dealer, you can get great deals on demo models at a substantial discount. It is indicative of the groupthink on social media in which folks believe that every company has to cater to their every whim.  All of these niche companies are very small, so do not expect instant, on-demand customer service like you would get from Amazon or McIntosh.

In terms of sound, it depends on your system. I have tried McIntosh, VTL, VAC and CJ tube amps in my system and none of them sound as good as ARC tube amps. My system has an Esoteric K-01XD source, Luxman CL1000 preamplifier, and Wilson Audio Sasha DAW speakers. I think that ARC power amps work well with Wilson Audio speakers.

I think the OP posed a somewhat limited question. Are you trying to decide between buying one or the other? There are many great tube amplifiers, and there is no absolute answer to your question.
I think the OP posed a somewhat limited question.

The sad part is you taking it seriously. 
Bought my ARC LS15 and VAC amp back in 1995 and they are still going strong
Only service was cap upgrade on the LS15 
and just replaced the tubes in both just recently 
I had some experiences with both ARC and VTL entry amps 30 years or more ago. My system was ARC LS2, Adcom 555II, Luxman D-105u and Definitive Tech BP20 and Disco and electronic also my preference beside jazz.

ARC dealer let me take the classic 60 for home audition with no deposit needed since I visit that store often and got to know folks there. VTL needed me to purchase the Stingray but said I can return if I am not satisfy for any reason. 

The first generation Stingray looked cool and VTL is not for from my house. David Manley was cool and took time to explain on his VTL amp. I was very impressed with VTL top end tube gears but the Stingray sounded too solid state and harsh on the top end in my system. It was not very present exchange when I returned the Stingray. To but it mildly, it was unprofessional and I have not think of buying any VTL amp even now even VTL sounded more tube like than ARC tube amp. VTL has more classic tube sound and ARC is more detail and analytical but not harsh nor unpleasant on both of their higher end tube gears back then.

The Classic 60 was good but it didn't satisfy my need for Disco type of music.

I still own the LS2, changed the 6922 a couple times. Some statics when I turn on the volume up but the trick of put unit in mute and rotate the volume knob solve that issue. I would need to do that every few months.