Diminishing returns?

I have a Denon X3700, which I bought primarily for it being within my budget, and capable of handling 8k and HDMI 2.1.  I’m currently in the market for floor standing speakers that will serve a dual purpose as both  2ch audio, and the L/R in a 5.1.

I would imagine at some point, the limitations of the receiver will outweigh the benefits of purchasing higher-end speakers?  In essence I would lack the equipment necessary to truly bring out the best in the speakers.  Is this an incorrect assumption?  Assuming I don’t plan on using anything besides the aforementioned Denon, at what price point would investing in more expensive speakers be pointless?

128x128mlenow
Depends on resolution of your system to determin that point and how much you have to spend.
Ah yes, two-channel 'enthusiasts'. I admit to being one totally, but I still thought to suggested a center and surround solution (with better mains for two-ch use). It seemed to be what was needed per the O.P. unless I misunderstood. Sometimes it's not about what we want I guess.

I remember the days having to work it out for stereo and video in one system (adding TV sound in the 80s to a receiver). It was more challenging as the system grew and eventually separated.  These days I feel very lucky to have individual rooms/setups for high end two-channel audio, regular TV, and a home theater. It just takes time and if the O.P. builds carefully those items are very usable later. (plus I probably never sold a piece of audio gear in my life...)
Keep the Denon and buy speakers you really like. They will sound great (assuming a common sense match).