Why the cost increase?

I went to buy materials for a speaker project. I also priced some T-111 siding on 8" centers, 5/8 thick, Ship lap.
I hadn’t picked up any sheets or anything in over 18 months.

48" x 96 x 5/8 wood siding was 19-26.00 and on sale 15-20.00 per sheet, NOW 74-84.00 per sheet.

MDF 3/4" 48 x 96" if you can find it. 45-55.00 per sheet it was 22.00 to 27.00 per sheet.

2x4x8 DF stud grade 1.99-3.00 per. Now 4-6.00 per stud,

There is no shortage but there sure is a LOT of price gouging. NOTHING changed. Just the price..

The quality is worse. The workers aren’t paid worth a crap...Why the increase?

I’m getting ready to finish my home out. WOW.. I might have to rethink this a bit..

The price all most tripled in 12-18 months.. This kind of stuff is NOT cool at ALL.

Just my opinion of course. Any projects you’re doing get put on hold or STOPED?

YES I’m very frugal. Money never came easy, and it leaves the same way..

Ag insider logo xs@2xoldhvymec
@oregonpapa

Of course we have. Listen, I’m no fan of the Fed, or our insane and crazy spending on a federal level (yes, if we keep doing that we will see similar cost increases on all products across the board), but, the lumber increase across the board happened almost literally ’overnight’. The beef industry wholesalers, as the lumber guys, seem to have a cartel on these prices, and can literally do as they desire if the market is there. Gas prices? Well, I don’t think it takes a genius to figure out why that is happening.

I study this stuff, believe me, especially after the housing crash that almost ‘killed me’ financially overnight, but this particular cost increase was so staggering quick nationwide that it goes beyond what would be expected by ‘actual’ inflation.

As example, we just ordered roof trusses for a job. We will have to wait 3 months to get them, minimum. It wasn’t even a year ago would would get those built and trucked to our site in 2-3 weeks max from date of order. Might give you a glimpse of what is happening. Same is happening to windows, cabinets, and many many other building supplies. Makes our job tough in keeping clients happy.
I drove back and forth to Montana from Southern Nevada recently. I saw train after train with Lumber heading south. I had put all my wood working project on hold for a few months when the prices went thru the roof. We shall see if the prices come down with the resupply.
Pay no attention to the economic town criers. This inflationary noise is just that. Noise. Some inflation is to be expected but it will be short lived and price gougers are always around to take advantage of it. Anyone notice how it's not across the board?

The comments you hear are just from opportunists inflaming the situation. Nothing more.

All the best,
Nonoise
Anyone notice house prices also taking a massive jump? Homes in NC and VT Zillowed at $400k going on the market for $600k - overnight.