Technics SP10 MK3 Restoration

Just got my SP10 MK3 base (motor unit & controller) back from JP at FidelisAnalog.com
JP is one of the most knowledgeable on the SP10 MK3 and is the one who designed and manufactures the MN6042 Speed Control chip that keeps these and other Technics turntable models still operating.

My SP10 MK3 came with the stock Technics SH-10B5 faux obsidian base.
It has very low hours of use , no signs of wear at all on the bearing and not a single blemish, other than some specs of dust and a couple spots on the copper part of the platter that need cleaning.
but I would like to have a 2 arm, constrained layer plinth built and have the motor unit mounted 'naked'. I am presently searching somewhat 'affordable' plinth builders and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The work that JP did to both the motor unit and the controller:

1.       Pre-refurbishment measurement to baseline the performance of the unit and to see if there are any underlying issues.
2. Cleaning of all PCBs to remove the factory conformal coating. At~40 years this coating tends to become hygroscopic which can cause stability issues.
3. Physical inspection of all solder joints under an inspection microscope. Many of the joints will exhibit annular deformities which can lead to joint fractures down the road. These must be cleared of the factory solder and re-soldered. There will also be poor joints that need the same treatment. You can’t just reflow as the solder alloys aren’t the same which can also cause joint failure down the road.
4. Electrolytic cap replacement and rectifier diode replacement.
5. Disassembly and cleaning of the motor. Bearing inspection and service work. Proper Anderol 465 oil is used for reassembly. Motor is then checked for any areas of bearing drag.
6. The brake solenoids typically needs cleaned, and band tension is adjusted.
7. Stop/start and speed selection switches in the motor chassis are measured for contact resistance. Too high of resistance is indicative of a switch failure in the future. In the control unit I typically replace all the tactile switches, and the start/stop switch if needed.
8. Relocation of the brake regulator transistor to the heatsink to prevent overheating of the board (factory design flaw).
9. MN6042 replacement installation.
10. PSU ripple check at all critical stages (10).
11.   Course calibration is performed and post-refurb baseline measurements for FG spectrum, motor drive phases, etc. are taken.

12.   After 48-hour run-in final calibrations and verification measurements are performed.

The basic service returns the unit to factory or better specifications (assuming no permanent bearing damage has occurred).   This service is quite exhaustive and very different from the typical work I see of just swapping some caps out, checking some voltages, and adjusting phase tracking.

The advanced service adds on top of the basic service:

1.       Replace all polyester capacitors.
2. Replace drive circuit metal oxide resistors.
3. Replace all voltage regulator ICs and update circuits.
4. Replacement of certain diodes.

Rick

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrich121
@chakster

Of course he was nice to you... you were handing over $$$ and he wanted more of your $$$!

Conversations and interactions that I was referring to were non-business... they were interactions between 'hobbyists'

Enough already... not going to go there.

@chakster

Of course he was nice to you... you were handing over $$$ and he wanted more of your $$$!

No, he never tried to push anything, he did not even tried to sell me slightly more expensive cartridge (but he could). He was a honest dealer, this is what I like. And believe me I ask question BEFORE I buy anything, not after! Other well know dealers in USA simply ignored my questions if there are more than one question or more than one email.

Conversations and interactions that I was referring to were non-business... they were interactions between ’hobbyists’

Conversation with YOU personally or someone else ? If you don’t have personal experience with OMA you’d better not comment. Some hobbyists here on audiogon are very rude, but it’s a free speech, not their job, everyone can be in a bad mood and everyone has an opinion.

I’m sure there is nothing wrong with the reputation of OMA as a company, they got their customers and they got their unique product to offer on the market. Let’s be honest!

P.S. I remember companies like B&O, today rich people are buying them because of unique design for their interior. Unique design cost money. OMA is not B&O, so I believe it's a combination of sound and vintage oriented design. But I never heard their speakers in real life, I know people who tried them in NY showroom.  
As for Jonathan @ OMA, he lost all respect from me and …
He will not get my business.

Good, seems you have more brain than others …
Is a Technics SP10-MK III in an appropriate plinth well restored better than a Woodsong Garrard 301?
I guess the question is DD or Idler drive?
I enjoy the physicality, drive and PRAT of the 301.
Is a Technics SP10-MK III in an appropriate plinth well restored better than a Woodsong Garrard 301?
Better or worse, nah it’s subjective of course, they’re just different.