Will accidental max volume damage a speaker?

I think I’m okay but I would still like some reassurance. My preamp has an option to use one RCA input as a pass through that bypasses the volume control. In other words whatever volume goes in, goes out. Weeks ago I set it up that way to test a different component and I forgot to set it back when I unhooked that component. So today I hooked a dac to it using the dac’s fixed outputs, so I assume line level. So when I started a song it was loud, really loud for about four seconds. Probably not as loud as if I maxed out the volume intentionally, although I’ve never done that so I can’t be sure how loud that would be. Just wondering if speakers have a safety mechanism designed in where the drivers can’t over travel and cause damage. My speakers are Usher Audio dancer mini-x DMD. They still sound perfect to me but I’ve always wondered about this question anyway so it motivated me to ask. I've probably just watched too many comedy movies where teenagers literally explode their speakers like there was a grenade in them
milkdudd
If there was permanent damage, you'd probably be able to hear it. But no, speakers generally don't have some sort of limiter built into them to protect against overdriving or overloading. So just be careful.
Okay thanks. I just listened for a couple of hours and they seem just fine. I guess the question would be how loud is a direct line level input compared to a normal condition of maxing out the volume dial. Maybe my accident didn't really have them as loud as I thought. Some of it may have been startle factor and my ear was almost right next to the speaker. Still it was pretty darn loud. Thanks again for your response
Not entirely true. Some subwoofer drivers have built in bump stops like the suspension on pickup trucks. This keeps the driver from ripping out it's wires if it is over driven. You can't miss when this happens. It make a racket!
Other drivers, it usually takes a while to over drive them. The main mode of failure is overheating. This is with clean power. Most drivers are burned out by distortion. Clipping is basically square wave which is +- DC. Everyone is familiar with what happens if you place a wire across the terminals of a battery. That is exactly what happens to the voice coils. But, it takes a little time depending on how bad the distortion is. There is a good argument that says powerful amps are safer. 
If all the drivers are working you are OK. 
If  you didn't take out a tweeter immediately, you are fine. Some speakers with first order crossovers can easily have a tweeter damaged with a short burst of loud music. I've done it  before with Green Mountain Audio speakers.

So if it sounds fine to you, it's probably ok. 

Oz

What if it's NOT accidental?  I turn every system I have all the way up.
As often as I like, too.  NO button pushing.

I've lost a couple of tweeters through the years, all ribbons or planars.
Out of over 500 small planars and ribbon drivers. Round VC speakers a single ring tweeter.

Power on, Power off, Thumps and POPS. That I would worry about.
Volume down, do what every you're going to do, including shutting down.
Always volume DOWN..

Regards