Using step up / down transformers?

Is there any sonic or functional detriment to using a step up or step down transformer to run a Japanese or European amplifier at North American voltages? If not, doing this would open up a lot of opportunities...
greg7
@sns, 
I agree any transformers on the main AC power lines feeding your audio equipment will degrade sound quality. That is the reason why I run all my audio gear on 240 volts. I have 4 dedicated audio circuits in my audio room. Two of those circuits are dual voltage plugs meaning the top of the plug is 120 volts and the bottom is 240 volts. The plug is a Leviton 5842-I. The other 2 circuits are a Leviton 5822-W plug. All 4 circuits are 20 amps. Removing the 240 volt step down transformer from the main AC power line and running everything on 240 volts direct was the biggest improvement in my audio system. Improvements heard in the system are the following; better low level detail, dynamics, transient response, lower noise floor, micro dynamics, and the hiss from the speakers was eradicated. Also, I plug all my audio equipment directly into the plug. Switching from 240 volts to 120 volts in my system is now as easy as changing a power cord. Every time I switch my gear from 120 volts to 240 volts the latter is best sound quality. And that is my story.

BTW, 240 volts, is more efficient then 120 volts, 240 volts, is half the amps as 120 volts, 240 volts is quasi balanced power.

https://www.amazon.com/NEMA-6-20P-C13-Power-
Cord/dp/B00H7JR636/ref=pd_sbs_23_5/147-1650051-9596235
?

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5822-W-Receptacle-Commercial-Grounding/dp/B000U3I1S0/ref=asc_df_B000U...

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/p/Leviton-5842-I-Comb-Receptacle-Nma5-20R-6-20R/5653867?gclid=E...

Running my system on the 240 lines already in my house has been a recurring thought.
ditusa
any transformers on the main AC power lines feeding your audio equipment will degrade sound quality. That is the reason why I run all my audio gear on 240 volts ...
Your power went through multiple transformers as part of the electric grid's distribution system before it reached the transformer in your neighborhood. There's no way to be rid of them. Your audio components also contain transformers.
BTW, 240 volts, is more efficient then 120 volts, 240 volts, is half the amps as 120 volts, 240 volts is quasi balanced power.
No, the two have the same efficiency - the current is the same at either voltage.
Not too much oversized though. 30% more VA than you need is a good amount.
This statement isn't quite correct. AC power transformers will generate distortion, particularly if loaded past about 50%. So to prevent the transformer from distorting the AC line waveform it really should not be pushed past 50% of its total rating.
GOOD transformers will not degrade sound. +1 millercarbon, there is a reason they are still used today in audio. I always double the power requirement specification of the equipment to get the power rating of the transformer.