Lay Off the Newbies!

I always try to keep my posts constructive, but there is something that regularly goes on here that I think is detrimental to our hobby - A newbie has a simple question and a bunch of neurotic geezers (of which I include myself) jump on the guy with a million rules and rituals he must follow to achieve his goal, which ends up discouraging the guy right out of hobby. There was one analog thread on static where I recommended Gruv Glide and you geezers started in with so much BS- humidifiers, move to another climate, expensive gimmicks, etc, that GG would kill him and his records.  The end result? By the end of the thread, he sold his analog rig because he couldn't deal with the stress.  In a recent digital thread, you guys are recommending a newbie buy 20 year old transports.  All this does is just make newbies so stressed out that you'll drive them to MP3s.  Newbies need simple answers, commensurate with their experience level.  Buy a Rega table, screw in a Rega cartridge and play records.  They have plenty of time to turn into us.  Somehow we survived, listening to our Sansui receivers and JBL L-100s in bedrooms thick with pot smoke and spilled Boone's Farm.  And we made it.  Sometimes I'm amazed as well.  Let the young have fun while they can. Be well.  
chayro
@whart 

Bill - well said brother. We really do need a visit ;-). But don’t expect any quarter on the track, I would still bump ya into the Armco… ( not in an F car
This thread, though well intentioned, has pointed out that this place has morphed into some kind of internet gauntlet, with the nice people on one side and the not so nice ones opposite them. 

If a newbie wants to run that gauntlet, my advice is to run close to the nice ones and ignore the others as they swing for the fences while aiming at your head.

And, stay clear of that guy who yells "shiller" all the time.

All the best,
Nonoise
Yes totally agree.  We were all at one time "newbies" to the hobby.  For myself there was no Internet to seek information.  I had to learn by listening to equipment at audio stores. Few exist now.  Sales people.  Local audiophiles.  Audio magazines.  Then spending money to figure it out for myself. 
However, now there is TMI.  Too Much Information.  Being new to the hobby they may not be able to separate the subjective / objective view points and sarcasms to aid him or her in their quest.
To add to a prior thread, a "Woman" co worker started me into Higher Fi and the art of audio reproduction.  I don't know if I should thank her or curse her.
Learn by example:
david3838- I’ve been following all your postings and comments on Audiogon for the past 2 years and just wanted to say Thanks for passing on your knowledge on all things audio. I’ve learned a lot from your comments and they have helped my understanding of audio gear immensely.

Scott22- First off as a new guy with no experience and a limited budget I found this site quite by accident and ended up purchasing my speakers and integrated amp here. Since then I’ve been a regular reader and occasional responder.
What I have observed is how helpful the members are in general and I’ve observed MC, in particular, has been a most consistent truth-teller( as far as I know) with an acerbic wit.

sj00884- Unsolicited i asked him his thoughts on improvements for my system. He offered them, I took them and viola, there was marked improvement. Very thankful he took the time given my modest setup.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/my-apologies-to-miller-carbon