Buying used vs new?

Chance to buy a preamp used at half price.  Its been used for several years.  Seems a good thing. Worth doing?
jumia
Haven't bought anything significant new for decades. You can buy used (carefully) and save a huge amount of money - at least half.

Ask yourself - do you want to own a system with a total new cost of $100K some day?  Would you rather have it today for $25K or wait 20 years until you can afford to write that big cheque?
Since the internet and the used audio market were invented I’ve always bought used. I’ve bought one dac and one integrated tube amp new in 26 years. The list has been many preamps, many amps, CD players, 3 turntables, countless  loudspeakers all Martin Logans and open baffle speakers. I’ve never had an item break or arrived damaged. Good luck? 
Got tired of trying to read every reply. But I'd agree with 2/3 of the thread I read and add one caveat. Have you heard it in your system? Have you read reports of it working positively with your amp? If not, even at half price it will be a crap shoot. Not every preamp works with every amp. System synergy is of utmost importance.
The only new item I have purchased in 20 years is one cartridge. Everything else which includes at least 50 transactions was ALL used. The main factor with used is knowing what you are buying. That is the beauty of it! You can buy smart and resell if it doesn’t work out. Most of us take excellent care of our gear so outside of a few nasty people and/or smokers you are all good.....LOL.
I've bought used gear The Music Room in Colorado, tmraudio.com, where a technician checks it over before they sell.   This is a reasonable compromise between savings and reliability.  Whereas I buy my integrated amplifiers new because I want newer class D because of heat, ventilation requirements and low current draw on my old house's electricity.