Magico A1 vs KEF Reference 1 (META) vs KEF LS50 + KEF KC62

I want to get a monitor speaker for a room that is 17'W x 22'L x 24'H and shared with my sons toys. The room actually opens up some more to a living room and a balcony on the second floor. So there is some volume to fill. I also need to use a monitor and not a more appropriate floor stander. I am limited to where I can place a speaker. It MUST be placed on a bookshelf that is 2 inches from the front wall and has the following dimensions.  

Depth:
17 3/8 "
Height: 20 1/2 "

I am currently using KEF LS50's (passive) on the bookshelf. It works well but I would like more bass and a bigger sound.

I was thinking of the Magico A1 since it is sealed and can be comfortably placed on a bookshelf. Magico even sells 5 degree angled bookshelf stands for the A1. However, the price seems very high for a 2 way speaker. 

The KEF Reference 1 is a speaker I always liked (heard it many times). However, I always heard it away from the front wall. I have been trying to get some info out of KEF on the Meta stuff and also placement of the REFERENCE 1 monitor.  However, no feedback yet. The Reference 1 is rear ported and maybe not too good close to a wall. I would also wait for the META stuff to appear on the Reference 1.

The other option is using my existing KEF LS50's + KEF KC62 subwoofer (placed on bookshelf). Though I am not sure if this combo is strong enough for my space.

I am using a KRELL K-300i integrated for this system. It would work well with the Magico and both KEF's.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Is the Magico A1 strong enough for the space? I assume it is a bit more detailed than both KEF's. I have demoed the A3.
2) Can the KEF Reference 1 be placed very close to the front wall? Would the META help in placement close to a wall?
3) Is the  KEF LS50's + KEF KC62 subwoofer combo strong enough for my room?

I guess I could also use the  KEF KC62 subwoofer with the Magico A1 and also the KEF Reference 1.

BTW -  I am seriously thinking of getting the Yamaha NS5000 that is classified as a bookshelf speaker. I have recently learned that it can be placed close to a front wall without catastrophic results. My only issue is that it is a relatively large speaker compared to other monitors and I am tight on space. This one should really be placed on the stands that Yamaha provides for it. This would make the space tighter than I would like. I think the other 3 speakers are actually more appropriate given my space restrictions.

I am looking for answers to my 3 questions and some opinions on my 3 choices.
yyzsantabarbara
The ref can be placed close to a rear wall as long as the port can breathe you will have no problem as per the kefs vs nagico the kef uses a waguide loaded dual con centric this creates  us a very coherent sound and gives the ref ones a huge focused sound stage even placed in less then optimum positioning 

Also tonally the kefs are well balanced where the magicos beryllium tweeter can be a bit on the hot side

There is no announced meta versions yet for thr reference line

Dave and troy

Audio intellect nj
Kef dealers
Few thoughts:

Just because a speaker is sealed or front ported does not mean it performs well near wall.  For example, the front ported Raidho X1/XT1 is awful near wall.

I would look at Vivid Kayas.  The new S12 will eventually have a wall bracket.  I have been using Kaya 45s less than a foot from the wall and they perform surprisingly well.  The Kaya line is certain to excel in this application.  

A bit pricier and has to be on the integrated stands, but the Wilson Benesch Vertexes are bottom ported and excel with near wall placement. I have these side-by-side with the Kaya 45s and my own speakers.  

Perlisten S4b is a sealed, three way design.  The floorstanding S7t is the best measuring speaker ever over at Audioholics and they are using the same technology (klippel) to optimize performance of all of their speakers and subwoofers for that matter.  This is a very neutral, high performing speaker.

Verdant Nightshade and Blackthorn - despite being rear ported, I have tested using a port bung (foam plugs) and was very pleasantly surprised at how well the sound held together with placement 6" from the wall.  You will lose about 10-15hz in bass response so a subwoofer would be critical.  I think the Blackthorn is probably the better speaker for your taste if you like Kef and these are available for 30 day in-home trial.  

The Magico A1 is a great speaker.  I have been surprised to find the A line is a bit less bright than the S line.  Ran into an issue where a relatively neutral amp delivered to warm of a sound with an Aqua DAC and we have to move to a more forward Musical Fidelity to drive a pair of A3s.  I have not listened to these in a near wall application.  I would look to see if someone has to be certain it will work.  

Wilson TuneTot - they have a special port design to ensure optimal performance near wall.  I have listened to these driven by a naim uniti atom and was pleasantly surprised.  It is what you would expect from a little Wilson.  

Audiovector R1 has an amazing AMT tweeter that is more natural sounding that you would expect.  This might be the most neutral sounding speaker on the list.  Has an aluminum baffle and some other interesting tech that makes it a very appealing design.  

I am not a huge fan of the Kefs and will abstain from commenting.  They are simply not to my taste.  

These are all very big sounding speakers.  Only the Perlistens Audiovectors are made from MDF/HDF and the AVs have an aluminum baffle.  All the others use advanced cabinet materials which really help in terms of delivering a bigger sound.  

I am a dealer for Raidho, Vivid, Wilson Benesch, Perlisten and obviously Verdant.  I have no relationship with Kef, Magico, Audiovector or Wilson  
Post removed 
Thanks guys for this great feedback. Last night after I posted I spoke with another person very familiar with KEF and he said the KEF Reference 1 over the LS50 + KC62 sub. He said the Ref 1 is a more refined sound.

I looked at the TuneTots a few days ago after another dealer I have worked with recommended them. However, they cost a lot and seem too small for my space. This dealer used to be a TAD ME1 dealer (I demoed it there) and I was considering the TAD ME1 for this room but it is no longer distributed in the USA. It is a great speaker but it does need a little space on the back, which is surprising considering the side vented ports.

I know the Vivid Kaya 45/90 very well (demoed the 90). I was seriously considering that for my office but went with a used Thiel CS3.7 and rebuilt it with new drivers. I drive it with a CODA 07x and #8. I spoke with Vivid on the placement of the Kaya (and Giya G4) and they said near wall placement is OK because of the tube they use to kill some of the rear wave. The Kaya 45/90 is not doable in this living room because of the side firing woofers would be right beside the bookshelves. I was considering the KEF Blades that have the woofers higher up than the Kaya but that it is too much of a speaker for this bad placement.

I recently looked at Vivid S12 but I do not want to put any holes in the wall for that new stand that is coming out. I also am not comfortable with a 2 way speaker in this space I have.

The 2 speakers I seem to be coming back to are the KEF Ref 1 and the Yamaha NS5000. I have heard both and would be happy with either, though maybe a little happier if I could get the NS5000 to work.

If I go with the Ref 1. I will wait for the Meta and use my KRELL K-300i integrated.

If I go with the Yamaha NS5000 I will go with my Benchmark AHB2 mono + AudioByte VOX | ZAP | HUB (need to buy this stack)
- Topping pre90 preamp or Benchmark LA4 preamp or no preamp

Going with the KRELL + Ref 1 is simpler and it also sounds great.

BTW - I did demo the Magico A3 but did not "JUMP ON THE A3 ASAP"