A full range speaker?

Many claim to be, but how many can handle a full orchestra’s range?

That range is from 26hz to around 12khz including harmonics, but the speakers that can go that low are few and far between. That is a shame, since the grand piano, one of the center points of many orchestral and symphonic performances, needs that lower range to produce a low A fully, however little that key is used.

I used to think it was 32hz, which would handle a Hammond B-3’s full keyboard, so cover most of the musical instruments range, but since having subs have realized how much I am missing without those going down to 25hz with no db’s down.

What would you set as the lower limit of music reproduction for a speaker to be called full range?

I’m asking you to consider that point where that measurement is -0db’s, which is always different from published spec's.
128x128william53b
I like feeling my music, and my system is used for home theater as well, so a solid 25hz satisfies me. But my pair of KEF R 400 b's only go comfortably to 28, so for now that’s it. 
Oddly enough, using some furniture, not to my wife’s liking, to fashion a horn, really increases the volume and decreases the distortion.
My newly acquired PBN Montana XPS speakers have an in room rating of 25 hz to 22 khz, pretty full range to me. However I do back them up with dual Rythmick F12 subs. Never enough bass!
@realworldaudio

Yes, if you go back to the beginning horns were necessary to reproduce bass because the amps only had so much power, so a good full range can get you most of the way there with a folded horn box, or a BAB. 

I currently have 3 sets of Fostex laying around waiting for cabinets, 4, 6, and 8 inches, two Sigma and a pair of Fostex FE206NV 8"ers.
Agree with @douglas_schroeder  that listening to a system with strong output down through 15 Hz is a completely different listening animal than most people would suppose. Whoever said that there's just not that much musical info below 40 Hz was absolutely wack. 

Also recall that "20 Hz" does Not represent the "lowest sound we can hear"...it simply is the lowest sound we can hear that most people can Identify as a **musical pitch** or **tone**. But, there is all kinds of musical information - having to do with tone,  dynamics And spatial relationships - that can easily be felt as well as heard. Not to mention the idea of properly pressurizing a room of a given volume vs amp power vs typical listening levels.

But I certainly agree with others that, more than anything else, it really doesn't just take a custom system (which indeed it does) but it takes a truly custom room. A nice, reasonable, typically good set of dimensions might be on the order of 25 or 30 ft long, by say 20 ft wide and at least 14 or 15 ft tall(!) And kiss goodbye any thoughts of 2x4 construction - you'll need more like 2x12's, instead - floor, walls and ceiling alike. And you will still need room treatments, maybe not as much as in a 'bad' room, but you'll still need them...and EQ.

People do engage in these sorts of projects from time to time, but all that is a major barrier that most people aren't quite willing to try to scale for obvious reasons. The rewards are there, particularly if you're looking to build your next home, or modify you're existing house (if you've accumulated home equity over the years, that can come in handy). True, full-range sound can be had, but, done right, it will come as a nasty sticker shock. But impractical problems sometimes require just plain impractical solutions.

NO one hears a sub signal NO ONE.. You feel it..

If anyone was to sit in a SUB only room, and then crank the sound, your bones would fall apart.. Just that simple..

On a hydroelectric dam face the turbine rooms, limit the exposure to ALL people.  Same issue in engine rooms on transport ships..

You have to be VERY careful with exposure to low LOUD harmonics.

I read earlier in the thread 15 hz.. LOL. A 32 foot pipe will hit 16 hz in a TUNED chapel/Cathedral ONLY.  Helmholtz tech is used to control and obtain it.. It doesn't just happen in nature..

A VERY well thought out room is the only way to get even close to 20 hz.  NASA's Langley Research Center has purchased two Larger VMPS Subwoofers as a source of 118+ dB, 20 Hz tone bursts. The Larger Subwoofer was the only commercially available system capable at that time.

Nearfield testing can go lower, add a room in the mix, it literally has to be built to work.. 

FEW people could even put up with VIBS like 15-25hz.. Unless you're already NUTS..

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I read earlier, "Whoever said that there's just not that much musical info below 40 Hz was absolutely wack."

"Also recall that "20 Hz" does Not represent the "lowest sound we can hear"

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm going to leave the statements above, but I would recommend a little education.. HEARING and SUB in the same sentence. Surely you jest!!