Scheu Audio Das Laufwerke No 2 Arrives Safely

Purchased a Scheu table from a verified dealer here on Audiogon. The shipping took awhile since the table was in Poland, but the who process was successfully completed. It did take a bit of time to get through customs, but the table had factory packing that safely protected it during its journey. Since the table weighs 42 kilo, that was no easy task! Transit time was a couple of weeks, and apparently that was longer than expected. The Audiogon dealer was fantastic to work with, I cannot say enough good things about elberoth2 as a seller. 

After unpacking assembly went very smoothly, the Scheu is a relatively straightforward table to set up. Put the very very heavy plinth in place, oil the inverted bearing and shaft assembly, place the platter on and allow it to settle. Place the motor and install the belt and the table is ready for arm install. Since the arm board is articulated I can place the Dynavector DV505 arm in place and then move the arm board to get correct spindle to pivot distance. Now its just the matter of aligning the cartridge. 

The table is up and playing for several days now. The speed controls are superb, and once set they do not change. The table is pretty much colorless, and to be honest I think it is able to faithfully portray what is on a record. Now it comes down to tone arm and cartridge, and if there are any restrictions in sound quality its going to be of the components chosen for those positions. Perhaps there are incremental improvements that can be had over the  Das Laufwerke No 2, but I would guess they will be minimal and out of my financial reach to achieve them. 

I have three tables, a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse, a Well Tempered Reference, and the Scheu. I could happily live with any one of them. I have the most money invested in the Cosmos Eclipse/SME V/ Transifiguration Audio Proteus, I will say that I think the Scheu and Dynavector is probably equally capable, and certainly a better value given what I was able to purchase them for on the used market. 

neonknight
Congratulations on your recent acquisition. I love the look of mass loaded turntables. The Sheu Laufwerke 2 reminds me of a few Transrotor models as well. Is you’re new turntable black or acrylic? Happy listening. 
I've been using a Scheu for Premier 2 with 80mm platter, Moerch DP6 9" tonearm and Allaerts MC1 cartridge for years. This has been a very reliable combination for me and I am happy with it. Good luck with your Scheu table.