AVR: Internal 2 CHANNEL AUDIO MODE. OR: HT BYPASS (external equipment for 2 CH Sources)

1. AVR, every one I had includes an AUDIO MODE for 2 CHANNEL which sends ALL signals ONLY to L & R Amps/Speakers. True 2 Channel sources, OR, ’unencode’ or ’down-mix’ surround to 2 Channels (often sounds better). Critically, surround center signal goes equally to L/R. Poorly done surround or cable created pseudo surround is ’put back together’.

or

2. HT BYPASS: separate L/R inputs direct to AVR’s L/R Amps (at full gain). You send volume controlled L/R signals (devices with their own volume control or via a preamp). (I’ve never had one, nor anyone I know).

https://hometheateracademy.com/home-theater-bypass/

In both cases, the AVR L/R amps only are driving the L/R Speakers, thus the amp’s sonic signature is the same. Using ’better’ equipment to feed the same amp?

Why HT Bypass? Shortage of Inputs?

Blu-Ray players play CD, SACD so that’s already covered.

Aside from everything else, you need 2 remotes if you use HT Bypass (to control 2 Channel Volume).

Pure Signal? Many AVR’s offer ’PURE’ or ’DIRECT’. Many preamps offer tone bypass, i.e. Pure, Direct. Thus the preamp is simply a source selector and volume attenuator.

IF I wanted ’better’ 2 channel equipment, I certainly would want ’better’ L/R amp(s) (most probably Tubes) so the AVR will be off and a method to get to the L/R speakers is needed.

And, let’s not forget, the need for VIDEO (creating and maintaining L/C/R Imaging over WIDE multi-person viewing audience) is fundamentally different than AUDIO (refined/precise 2 Channel Imaging for a single listener).

My contention: a specific speaker solution for WIDE L/C/R imaging for Home Theater, and try/use the AVR’s 2 Channel MODE for 2 channel source and force 2 channel to see if a surround source might sound better (often does). Simple Mode button, same volume, single remote.

2 Channel Music: a separate speaker type, thus a separate system.

I’ve always had a dedicated PC (even prior to HDMI) as an optional source for my HT, that’s my streamer and full net access, You Tube, Netflix, Prime etc. is on Smart TV’s now, but not in the old days. Even then, PC the source, I often find trying the AVR’s 2 Channel Mode sounds better. Audio and Video on the motherboard, no fan noise of dedicated video card.

elliottbnewcombjr
Years ago I had a 3 channel amp w/HT processor. I installed it in my 2 channel system. This way I had the best of both worlds. When I wanted movies, I'd press HT bypass (?) and combine the 2 systems. I can't remember if I had to sync the volumes  but after that volume and controls were handles by the amp/processor remote. Sound like a great idea, right
My wife HATED it. It was a PITA to get everything going. Kinda reminds me of streaming today. Too many things which have to communicate. So it didn't last long. I still have that amp/processor. maybe I ought to put it on Epay and list it as "Vintage"
I had a full Mcintosh HT set-up, then got a Lexicon pre, not cheap by any means, and yet no matter whether using the built-in two channel or a by-pass to 2 channel, it never sound that good for just music. When I got rid of HT and went to a high-end 2 channel, I realized within seconds how much I had been missing. So it really doesn't matter that much which way you go, by-pass or 2 channel mode in my experience are both lower-fi. Get the AVR out of the loop or just pick the easiest one to use for HT and live with the sound quality for 2 channel.
I have a 2 channel preamp for music and a HT processor. I don't use HT passthrough. I use my 2 channel Bryston amp. The RCA connections go to the 2 channel preamp for music and the balanced connections on the amp are hooked up to the HT processor. I just hit the balanced/RCA switch on the amp for what I'm listening to. Gives me a direct source for either preamp.
soix

HT Bypass is a DIRECT INPUT to the AVR Front L & Front R AMPS.

It USES the AVR’s primary L/R amps, at full gain, it does not bypass them, it does not involve other amps.

i.e. A CD Player, with it’s own Volume Control, like my Oppo 105 can be plugged into the HT Bypass, therefore get the Oppo’s superior processor’s 2 channel music signals, but the AVR amps are driving the main L/R speakers. However, the Oppo’s superior video (I don’t use mine) needs to be a direct input to the AVR, so ....

Several sources, thru your ’best in the world’ Preamp, still go to the AVR’s L/R amps thus the AVR is still driving the speakers, the preamp a switcher with volume control.

Using separate amps for 2 channel is a different solution than the 2 options I mention here:

1. AVR’s Internal Audio Mode (auto-select/selecting/forcing 2 channel), or
2. external volume controlled sources (single direct, or several thru a switcher i.e. preamp or integrated pre-out) via AVR’s HT Bypass INPUT.

Back to my Oppo 105. I can send it to one of the other AVR Inputs. IF 2 channel SACD or CD, the AVR will ’know’ it’s 2 Channel, OR, I can ’force’ 2 channel mode via AVR’s remote. 1 remote, or 2? Why/

Let’s not forget, those of us with Home Theaters have chosen our AVR’s, and are very happy using them for Movies, any content involving Video. Most of us, I bet, use the HT more than the Music System, I sure do.

Many people do not have either the space, desire, funds for 2 systems, so, a ’dual’ system is often sought. Is the HT Bypass any better, that’s the question.

I contend the Imaging is fundamentally different for Video or Music, but, if you get a nice wide l/c/r image, you can always sit in the middle when listening to music.

Bass extension, i.e. SUBS with smaller Mains become an issue, i.e. Are the SUBS IN or OUT in your setup. I advise planning the crossover location so the subs are still involved in the AVR’s 2 channel mode. ’SUBS IN for either AVR Internal 2 Channel Mode, or HT Bypass method.

luxmancl38

Interesting, what are the equip model #s? I'd like to see the features/options, often these alternate uses are not apparent.

I once searched for integrated amps with remote balance controls (and volume), discovered many were buried menu items, not mentioned in product literature, had to download and read the manual, and often discovered remote controls were not shown in product photos.