AVR: Internal 2 CHANNEL AUDIO MODE. OR: HT BYPASS (external equipment for 2 CH Sources)

1. AVR, every one I had includes an AUDIO MODE for 2 CHANNEL which sends ALL signals ONLY to L & R Amps/Speakers. True 2 Channel sources, OR, ’unencode’ or ’down-mix’ surround to 2 Channels (often sounds better). Critically, surround center signal goes equally to L/R. Poorly done surround or cable created pseudo surround is ’put back together’.

or

2. HT BYPASS: separate L/R inputs direct to AVR’s L/R Amps (at full gain). You send volume controlled L/R signals (devices with their own volume control or via a preamp). (I’ve never had one, nor anyone I know).

https://hometheateracademy.com/home-theater-bypass/

In both cases, the AVR L/R amps only are driving the L/R Speakers, thus the amp’s sonic signature is the same. Using ’better’ equipment to feed the same amp?

Why HT Bypass? Shortage of Inputs?

Blu-Ray players play CD, SACD so that’s already covered.

Aside from everything else, you need 2 remotes if you use HT Bypass (to control 2 Channel Volume).

Pure Signal? Many AVR’s offer ’PURE’ or ’DIRECT’. Many preamps offer tone bypass, i.e. Pure, Direct. Thus the preamp is simply a source selector and volume attenuator.

IF I wanted ’better’ 2 channel equipment, I certainly would want ’better’ L/R amp(s) (most probably Tubes) so the AVR will be off and a method to get to the L/R speakers is needed.

And, let’s not forget, the need for VIDEO (creating and maintaining L/C/R Imaging over WIDE multi-person viewing audience) is fundamentally different than AUDIO (refined/precise 2 Channel Imaging for a single listener).

My contention: a specific speaker solution for WIDE L/C/R imaging for Home Theater, and try/use the AVR’s 2 Channel MODE for 2 channel source and force 2 channel to see if a surround source might sound better (often does). Simple Mode button, same volume, single remote.

2 Channel Music: a separate speaker type, thus a separate system.

I’ve always had a dedicated PC (even prior to HDMI) as an optional source for my HT, that’s my streamer and full net access, You Tube, Netflix, Prime etc. is on Smart TV’s now, but not in the old days. Even then, PC the source, I often find trying the AVR’s 2 Channel Mode sounds better. Audio and Video on the motherboard, no fan noise of dedicated video card.

elliottbnewcombjr
Pure Signal? Many AVR’s offer ’PURE’ or ’DIRECT’. Many preamps offer tone bypass, i.e. Pure, Direct. Thus the preamp is simply a source selector and volume attenuator.
Yes, you do get a pure, direct route right to the AVR’s crappy preamp section that completely ruins sound.  As has been said here many times before, most AVRs are basically an amalgam of cheap electronic parts combined to meet an extremely aggressive price point the mass market will bear, and those necessarily cheap electronic parts just cannot produce excellent sound (not the least of which are the crucial power supplies that are usually the first victims of cost cutting given their relatively high cost).  And while a preamp is basically a source selector and volume attenuator, it has a HUGE impact on the sound a system ultimately produces and minimizing its importance is a tragic mistake. 
IF I wanted ’better’ 2 channel equipment, I certainly would want ’better’ L/R amp(s) (most probably Tubes) so the AVR will be off and a method to get to the L/R speakers is needed.
Precisely, and that’s the function and purpose of the HT bypass.  But it’s not only to bypass the amp but also the all-important preamp section as well so that, even though it remains powered up, the AVR is completely out of the signal path for critical stereo listening.  To get truly better 2-channel performance you’ll need either an integrated stereo amp or separate stereo pre and amp.  There aren’t many (if any) absolutes in this hobby, but this comes about as close as anything to being one IMHO.  FWIW. 

I would use a completely separate 2 channel preamp for 2 channel listening. Haven't heard any AVR even in HT bypass that could match the stereo sound of a separated preamp. It's not the amplifiers that are the problem, it's the AVR preamp that degrades the sound. I agree with soix, get the AVR completely out of the loop when listening to 2-channel stereo.
Years ago I had a 3 channel amp w/HT processor. I installed it in my 2 channel system. This way I had the best of both worlds. When I wanted movies, I'd press HT bypass (?) and combine the 2 systems. I can't remember if I had to sync the volumes  but after that volume and controls were handles by the amp/processor remote. Sound like a great idea, right
My wife HATED it. It was a PITA to get everything going. Kinda reminds me of streaming today. Too many things which have to communicate. So it didn't last long. I still have that amp/processor. maybe I ought to put it on Epay and list it as "Vintage"