Pioneer CD & DVD as Transports

Looking for inexpensive transport for redbook to a non-oversampling DAC. Which Pioneers are most worthy overall, and which are best value?
If only to be used as a transport, do the newer models hold much advantage over the older ones? Cheers,
Spencer
128x128sbank
563A or 578A Pioneer players are pretty darn good for around $100...I'll guess the higher priced models may be somewhat better even?

I used my 563A as a transport with my Counterpoint DAC for a while...I was surprised how good it sounded to be honest, somewhat lacking in weight (heft) though compared to better transports.

Dave
If I had to choose between the Pioneers, Toshibas, QUAD and Arcam. Hands down the Pioneer has a better transport. I haven't experienced the same as Dave in lacking of weight. In fact that's the last thing I could say it lacks..mine isn't stock though. It must be a synergy thing between transport, dac and cable?..who knows.

What ever you get stay away from the garbage philip's transports. My Quad 99CDP used one.. it really sucked in that area! The cheapo Pioneer 578A walks all over it in load/read time,quietness and the ability to read every disc. The Pioneer even reads and loads faster than the Arcam DV27. I would say at least twice as fast if not three times faster.. no kidding.

The modder ran my transport a month straight 24/7 before he ever dropped in the first mod. He wanted to make sure the transport was solid...it is. ;-)

The lower priced Denons aren't bad either as transports.
I think there's a reason why Ayre and Esoteric go with Pioneer transports.

Looks like the new Rega Apollo trannies aren't that reliable either..guys are dropping them like a hot potato.

Good luck with the NON OS adventure.
I don't know about Pioneer but I'd consider a Sony S7700. Really good as transport. Solid built.
Thanks guys, keep it coming.

I didn't know that Ayre & Esoteric use Pioneer transports. That seems like a pretty good endorsement.
In the past I've heard good sound from the DVD535 & DVD525 both paired with BelCanto DAC2. These can be found really cheap ~$30 on ebay. Figured by extension that the Elites would be even better.
The old PD65 got plenty of good commentary, but I figure newer models might have lower jitter.
I'd crossed the most of the Sonys off my list based on comments that they don't read CD-Rs well. Is that the case w/the S7700?
The Ack Dac, which are at the top of my list for DAC, mate well w/the inexpensive Toshiba DVDs, according to Chris from Ack. He hadn't tried them w/Pioneers. Other insights? Thanks,
Spencer
The only CD-Rs my S7700 had problems with reading were the blank faced Phoenix CD-Rs I recorded 8 years ago on my Philips CD recorder.
The rest of them read fine.
I liked the Mitsui music CD-Rs the most for their sound qualities.