Help me choose

Forgive me for asking but looking for input.

Finalists include Kef Q900, Dynaudio Focus 160, Totem Sttaf, Totem Rainmaker, and Nola Boxer. Using new high-power Onkyo receiver. I can't friggin decide. Listen to many audiophile recordings, female vocals, and mild rock. Only loud on rare occasions. Kimbre wire.

Basement system with 7' ceilings.
papostol
The receiver is being used as an amp and preamp for now. I plan to add an amp down in the future.
I can only speak from my own experience.
I started with Focal 918s b/c I picked them up cheap.
I was told that the Marantz receiver was plenty power to push Paradigm b/c I was looking at Paradigm when I bought the Focals.
I added the Marantz to the Focals.(125wpc) Not much to get excited about
I added an amp. Rebuilt H/K Citation 16a.(150wpc) Not much improvement
I added Sony 5400es cdp. Noticable improvement. More balance.
I added Thor ta-1000 upgraded preamp about 3 weeks ago. MAJOR IMPROVEMENT.
It isnt even the same ballpark. Hard to explain but with the receiver I would be forced to turn it up to hear detail and then it was just loud and flat. (Didnt know it at the time) haha
Now..my sound level is literally at 1 or 2 out of 24 steps on the volume. The sounds have power and life from the start..not to mention seperation. Sorta like if you threw rocks into water and only saw one ripple. Now it would be a gentle toss into the water and see multiple ripples.(If that makes sense)
I am still in the early stages of this hobby and it really can be frustrating when you dont get the results you are looking for. You should have seen my face when I hooked up this huge amp and got little to no improvement. I really thought I needed 500wpc to get where I wanted.
I coulnt have been further from the truth.
My speakers and room arent big enough for the 150wpc now with a quality pre.
I guess some of it depends on your listening needs.
If you have dual input speaker that is used for a lot of home theater then a receiver may fit the bill. For me though it isnt geared for the potential of music.
Like I said this is my experience. Jayson