Distributed Bass Array configuration

Please, I don't want to debate the merits of the DBA nor of those who espouse it. I am considering adding two more subwoofers to a system that has two already. To those who use a DBA,I am interested in how you have configured them, specifically--
  1. Do you run in mono, or do you split the array to run in stereo?
  2. What is your approach to setting phase (delay) among speakers that may be facing different directions and are different distances from the listener?
Thanks!
mike_in_nc
1. Doesn't matter. It is all mono. Proved it by running both ways. No difference. There is a lot of BS around subs. Stereo bass, for example.

2. This one is a misunderstanding of phase. The phase of the subs in relation to the mains doesn't matter. Timing does not matter. The importance of phase is in that the output of all the subs with the room, it all interacts. Each sub has its own set of room modes. These room modes move around when the sub is moved around- or when the phase of the sub is moved around. 

If you do your sub setup, place the subs asymmetrically at different distances from the corners, set crossover 80 or lower, and then set level, you are basically done. These are the big ones. Phase, I have it on my Dayton amps, as well as on my Talon Roc, and it is easily the lest significant of all the things you can do. 

All my subs by the way fire into the wall from about 2" away. They are asymmetrical, and I never have any idea where they are or indeed if they even are on at all! No one does! Yet the bass is beautifully 3D and seamless with everything else.
@millercarbon - Thanks for your comments.

Regarding sub phase, I have experienced its making a big difference in FR (measured and audible) between sub and main, but it’s easy to believe that with 4 mono subs not all set to the same phase, this would lose its importance.

I never thought of firing the subs into the wall. Interesting idea!

I do agree that with proper setup, subs can and should be undetectable, and I’ve accomplished that with 2 subs. Should be easier with 4.

I can imagine that using mono subs, one loses the need for symmetry, thus it should be easier to get smooth response.

Thanks again.
Hey Millercarbon, just copy that and paste that from now on.  Most straightforward, no bs explanation I’ve heard to date.

And for the record, I still hate subwoofers as much as I love them

I run my front subs in stereo because I’m using a very high crossover point. My rear subs are technically mono but I am running both the left and right channels to each sub. Phase on all subs is set to zero. I have a very small room so phase is not a big issue for me. I do delay the signal to the mains by a few milliseconds to compensate for the delay from the subs due to the e.q. circuitry built into each sub’s amp.