Solid State pre amp / tube amp

Most times you see and hear of tube preamps being used with Solid stated amps. What would using a solid state pre amp with a tube amp accomplish? Can anyone have any experience or theories as to what doing this could do both good and bad? I’d really appreciate it
bear1971
Many feel that tubes excel in the gain stages, but less so in the output stages.  There are many variables involved, but in general if you like what a tube amp does for your system, I can't help but wonder if a decent tube preamp isn't the way to go.
I did this for 10-12 yrs with a CJ PFR & Latino ST-70. Sounded great. One misnomer about tubes  is that it does not do bass well. Hogwash. I've played rock in local bands for years and the bass sounds more real than with SS amp. Bass has overhang. It is NOT tight like SS amps portray. The strings resonate. They don't stop instantly. I know what they sound like.
In general, a tube preamp supplies a desired smooth and musical SQ. And, in general, a SS preamp supplies a ultra detailed but edgy SQ. And, in general, a tube pre adds some of that smooth and musical SQ to a colder SS amp. However, my SS amp already is smooth and musical and my tube preamp adds more of the same while also being ultra detailed.
Surely, a great combination.