Avalon Speakers... To Spike or Not To Spike

I’m looking for advice on what others use under their Avalon speakers. Looking at the Member Systems pictured on Audiogon, I found that 4 systems used something other than Avalon’s OEM spikes, that 10 systems used nothing at all, and only 5 systems used Avalon’s OEM spikes.

Due to stupidly thick carpeting, I don’t have the option of using Avalon’s OEM spikes, or nothing at all. Presently my Avalon Ascendant speakers sit on 3/8th inch thick steel plates with treaded floor spikes. The bottoms of the plates are covered with Loctite rope caulk to stop any ringing. Prior to putting the speakers on the platforms, I level them by beating the spikes into the floor with a dead-blow hammer.

One option I’m considering are platforms made by Sound Anchors. The Sound Anchor platforms would raise the height of the tweeter about 2 inches which would bring the tweeter height just about even with my sitting position ear height.

Another option I’m considering is to continue to use the plate steel platforms, but to add Finite Elemente Ceraballs between the speakers and the platforms.

Any suggestions and advice would be most appreciated.
raks
Wig:

Thanks for your advice. How did you attach your outriggers… with the threaded mounting inserts… or straight in with heavy duty wood screws? I’ve never been a big fan of the mounting inserts. Also your System pictures show you made a perfect choice on the length of your outriggers. What size did you get?

Thanks
Raks,

Sorry for the tardy reply. My outriggers are 14 1/2" long and 1 1/2 " wide and I believe my spikes are 1 1/2 " long.

I tape the holes a little smaller than the insert and screwed them in without glue.
Hello just purchased a pair of Ascendent an this tread is really interesting as I thing placing the spikes is a pain in the.......

The outriggers look like a nice solution only don't feel like making a hole in my speakers.

So I'm thinking about making a traverse to make them selfs tanning so I just have to place my speaker on top. Unless someone have a reason to tell me this would be a really bad idea....
I was really looking for a solution as for the moment they are just standing directly on a granite slab but this give me a lot of enjoying resonance

So thanks for the tip I will look in to this