JVC TT 71: buy now for spare for my or TT81?

Both are quartz locked.  Any reasons to prefer a TT81 to a TT71?

I am thinking of making an offer on a JVC TT71 to have as a spare spinner if my current TT81 develops bad habits (TT81 is in my large plinth with 3 arms now).

Asking $399. Thinking of paying $350.

1 hr from me, I would pick it up. It's 120v model, that would eliminate the 120/100 transformer my 100v TT81 needs.
elliottbnewcombjr
lewm

I'm not going past TT81, so it's what fits the plinth: TT61 (not quartz locked), and TT71 or TT81 (both quartz locked). 100 and 120 v versions. The TT71 I found is 120 v.

The question is: any reason not to buy a TT71? Engineering difference that might matter?.

Visually it seems they made a change to the type of speed control, I don't care about that, never use them, that's the point of quartz locked isn't it? 
chakster,

I chose the spinner (JVC over Denon) for visual appeal, and the large 2 arm plinth with removable arm boards, that's what put me in the JVC world rather than Denon. 

My point is, all this work, money, 3 tonearms, .... if the spinner dies, I would be smart to have a spare if I can get one at a good price.
There is a better plinth for DP-80 for two tonearms. In my opinion 3 tonearms on one plinth is too much, better to buy additional turntable. Any tonearm switched 180 degree is not user friendly, a 3rd tonearm on one plinth is always turned 180 degree, I can’t stand it. In my opinion two turntables is always better than one with 3 tonearms.
chackster,

a Denon 3 arm plinth and Denon spinner is shown here

http://www.aca.gr/index/forums/fgr/hiend1?row=2070&pgn=378

Backward arm is awkward to be sure, and mine is more crowded than if it was a true 3 arm plinth. It’s my least active cartridge, but ready to go instantly for Mono LP’s. Rear is MM, side is 12-1/2" long MC.

If you check out my system I added here you will see I don’t have much room, One TT like mine works great here.

I found out about the rare larger CL-P3 with 3 removable arm boards after I had this one set up for 2. I felt darn lucky when I found the compact Mission (Jelco) that just squeaked inside the dust cover on the left side of this 2 arm base.

I've been using a QL-7 with the TT-71 while I mount a second tonearm on my TT-81 in the two arm JVC plinth. While the specs of both motors are similar, the TT-71 has noticeably less torque. Of course, it's possible my TT-71 is less than optimal; both decks are pretty old. I also prefer the mechanical switches of the TT-81 versus the touch controls on the TT-71.

But to answer your question, there's no reason not to get a TT-71 for backup, as it's perfectly adequate, but I believe the TT-81 is better in just about every way.