JVC TT 71: buy now for spare for my or TT81?

Both are quartz locked.  Any reasons to prefer a TT81 to a TT71?

I am thinking of making an offer on a JVC TT71 to have as a spare spinner if my current TT81 develops bad habits (TT81 is in my large plinth with 3 arms now).

Asking $399. Thinking of paying $350.

1 hr from me, I would pick it up. It's 120v model, that would eliminate the 120/100 transformer my 100v TT81 needs.
elliottbnewcombjr
When I was looking at the Victors I did a lot of research on the TT71, TT81 and the TT101. Since all the talk is about the TT101 and the TT81 the TT71 sort of falls under the radar but if you examine the specifications the TT 71 is only a very tiny bit behind the TT81. The TT101 is better than either by a small margin but they have a record of having issues and there are only a few folks in the world that can fix them.
Since my introduction to Victor turntables was a JVC QL-A7 I already knew just how good the TT71 motor was. I had planned to use that motor in my CL2P Victor plinth when a fellow AK member offered me a deal on a spare TT71 motor that he had recapped and serviced.
So I still have my QL-A7 sitting here gathering dust. Elliott, you should give me a call sometime.

BillWojo
Bill, thanks, I'll call you later.

solypsa,

thanks, the 101 is tempting, but I agree with Bill, I've read too many repair stories. there's an 801 listed now, $4,399, the words super rare are not in my vocabulary, wallet, collection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254201602453?hash=item3b2f98a195:g:Zi4AAOSw7wVfH8mM
Here is my second TT-101 on the floor in my room. It’s working sample in original plinth, I prefer a plinth for one tonearm. My first TT-101 was shipped to JP Jones for repair and sold to another audiogon member in original plinth for 2 tonearms. The plinth, by my advice, was completely restored and veneered with teak, it looks like a premium plinth now. AT-616 pneumatic insulators replaced those stock garbage feet.

However, I am so happy with my Luxman PD-444 that I don’t use TT-101 turntable as you can see.

A working unit in perfect condition is impossible to find nowadays, so it must be very expensive. But 6 turntables in the room is too much and I want a dedicated rack for each of them (just like those racks for LUX).