Townshend Audio ones Through

Recently there was a posting where the OP asked if anyone else was having a problem getting a response from Townshend Audio to their questions. I responded in the affirmative as I had recently sent three emails to them via their website without a response. Emails sent through  Audiogon however did get an immediate  response. Apparently, an upgrade to their website caused this glitch. When this was brought to his attention a very apologetic John Townshend contacted me and went out of his way to address  the issue I emailed them about. Townshend Audio has great products and I would not hesitate to purchase from them in the future.
128x128lwin
Hello Millercarbon:

Thank you so much for your input. You do have an impressive looking stereo system. One more question. I have a difficult room with different ceiling heights and much glass. As a result I get an over abundance of the bass range in the 20 hz to 120 hz range. Do you think the podiums would help tame this down?
Thanks,
Sam

@samgar,
The Podiums will help with isolating vibrations in equipment, but room deficiencies are another matter. The Podiums might help, but you really need to address the glass, as well as the other issues, separately,
IMHO.
Bob
I have a difficult room with different ceiling heights and much glass. As a result I get an over abundance of the bass range in the 20 hz to 120 hz range. Do you think the podiums would help tame this down?

I’ll be surprised if they don’t. See my comments elsewhere, I was definitely surprised to find a lot of what I assumed was room acoustics went away once the speakers were on Podiums.

What I think happens is, a lot of what we think of as room acoustic problems is really speaker vibrations going directly into the floor, where it travels through to walls and ceiling. So the whole room is being excited and vibrating directly by the speaker. This is in addition to acoustic energy.

Put speakers on Podiums and all this mechanical vibration energy goes away leaving only the room acoustics to deal with. The difference is huge! My room had a good amount of undamped bass boominess that went away once the speakers were on Podiums.

It is the Townshend damping engineering that accounts for this. The reason I am sure of this is mine were on ordinary undamped springs before they were on Podiums. On springs I got a lot of improvement in clarity and detail, with a nice reduction in grain and glare. The sound became a lot less fatiguing, just with plain springs. But the bass boom was pretty much unaffected.

When they went on Podiums everything got even better, plus there was a huge improvement in tone or truth of timbre. It is pretty obvious this is due to eliminating a lot of resonance that colors instrumental textures. Bass sounds a lot more clean and clear, even more articulate than it was- and with a DBA it was pretty darn articulate to begin with!

I should note that so far only the Moabs are on Podiums. My subs are still on ordinary springs. So just the Podiums alone was enough to make a big improvement in reducing boominess in my room. Working on getting the subs on Pods- but I have 5 subs, that is a lot of Pods!

Based on what I have seen together with what people have told me I would think a lot of your problem is vibrations going from the speakers through the floor into walls where it gets the glass vibrating, and the glass is not stiff like sheetrock it is almost like a driver or drum the way it moves. If that is indeed where a lot of your problem is coming from then isolating speakers from floor might be an even bigger improvement in your room than mine, and it was significant in mine.
Thanks so much for your feedback. My current speakers are on outriggers with cones sitting on Isoclean Tiptoes.  I don’t feel any vibration from my wood floors, so maybe that’s why I blame the room. Probably a combination of both. i just might order the podiums as I am sure they cannot make things worse. I have pissed more money away than that drinking beer,