Auralic Aries

Since getting my DAC I’ve been using Tidal via my laptop as my primary source, but the noise from the PC usb connection has gotten to be insufferable. So I’ve been looking at some dedicated streamers. The Aurender and Lumin gear seemed to be pretty much out of my budget, so I turned my eye to the Auralic Aries, Cambridge CXN, and Pro-ject Streambox. The onboard DAC and automatic upsampling on the Cambridge didn’t appeal to me, and I had I hard time seeing myself paying over $800 for Pro-ject’s suped up rPi, whereas I’ve read nothing but good things about Auralic. So today I won an auction for a pre-owned Aries with linear power supply for $695 including shipping. How’d I do? Seemed like a reasonable price to me...

Anyone know of any known issues to look out for on a pre-owned unit?

rfnoise
I’ve been using the Aries G2.1 for about a year, installed a Samsung EVO SSD and haven’t experienced any “noise” when connected to a Yggy or May KTE via USB. Both streamer and DAC are powered by a Shunyata Everest. Noise with a Holo Audio May KTE DAC is ah lol.
I also love the Auralic forums, Lightning DS app, firmware and software support and upgrades. I may try an Aurender at some point, but for now, I’m very satisfied with what I have.
Happy listening!

Ken
@ghosthouse Glad to hear you’re still digging your Mini and don’t worry I always get blamed ;) And I am with you curious about a G1 in my case mostly because my Mini is now 5 years old wondering how long a lifespan it has.

@kmmd Agreed the Auralic forums are a nice place to hang out and I think LDS is one of the best streaming apps out there.
The noise in the Aries G2 is having a high noise floor… not a sssssh coming out of the speakers. Just in case someone thought that was what I was talking about.
George, I think what you’re referring to is the quality and number of linear power supplies in the component and the impact on the quality of the signal output (noise on the signal). The N’s have 3 while the Auralic Aries G2 has 2. As you go up the chain in Aurender, you have more linear power supplies with the W20SE utilizing battery power.
However, as you said, “Ultimately the performance depends on the system the component is in.” I completely agree. Even the quality of a USB cable makes a difference…at least in my system…just got my Uber expensive Shunyata today. ;)
@jond 

Yup...still digging it.  It is the source I listen to the most...whether CDs I've ripped or Tidal (sometimes Spotify).  I've got very similar years on mine as you.  Don't want it to die but if it does, will have to try out that G1.