Apple Music

“Apple Music head can’t differentiate lossless and compressed audio, says format is a “marketing play”. “
Can’t differentiate !???… so why to bother upgrading your stream service !? Really?

https://www.musictech.net/news/industry/apple-music-head-cant-differentiate-lossless-and-compressed-audio-says-format-is-a-marketing-play/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=apple-music-head-cant-differentiate-lossless-and-compressed-audio-says-format-is-a-marketing-play&amp=1

surfmuz
@hilde45. 
Everyone on this forum can try this for themselves. Many have, and many have heard a difference.
Only those here with apple. More like half of us.
Not worth trying. The difference between lossless and compressed is easy for anyone to hear on a streamer but that is NOT the issue here.
@fuzztone  Understood. My son wants us to switch from  Amazon HD to Apple on the argument that Apple is now lossless, so this is a practical question for us, now.
@hilde45
The question has to be explored carefully. Some Apple Music files marked just Lossless other both Lossless and High Res, other Lossless High Res plus Apple Digital Master, other all above plus Dolby Atmos…… BUT !!! when you stream them through the DAC (ALAC enabled) all of them shows same resolution of 44.1kHz however Tidal stream always shows correct resolution according to the file mark 44.1kHz; 48kHz; 88.2kHz; or 96kHz.
Hmm I hear a big difference between the Gregory Porter “All Rise” Lossless and 24-96 high res album. The 256 to lossless is less noticeably. I think this is because apples 256 codec is very good.
You can switch instantly and it is very easy to hear how much better “app rise” is in 24/96

I am just using an iPhone to mojo with focal Elex headphones as I don’t have a way at the moment to try it on my main speaker rig.
Ok the album “all rise” there is more air, soundstage depth on the 24-96hz file. I feel there is more detail too.
On the Michael Jackson and Dio (24/192) seemed to sound the same to me on a quick listen to their lossless counter part). 
I think this is going to be album to album.
I have had Tidal and Apple for awhile and I will be dropping tidal. Apple sounds better and the family likes it better (why I have both…). 

Another view point here. https://youtu.be/bRDGh4Ph6ok

@james633
I have had Tidal and Apple for awhile and I will be dropping tidal. Apple sounds better and the family likes it better (why I have both…).
If you use your iPhone only for listening then maybe you will be ok with Apple Music only… I don’t think that without DAC you will hear any difference or even get any dissent sound. I still don’t understand how all types of high resolution files of Apple Music getting unfold by DAC with same resolution of 44.1kHz…. What kind of high res is it in general ? Also we don’t have any dissent high end or reference streamer with Apple Music support.