Sony's strange speaker cord

My home theatre system is an older Sony. Because the speaker cords do not have exposed wire on the ends, I am unable to connect them to any other AV receiver except the one that came with them. I wanted to know if these speakers could be connected to a conventional AV receiver. Is it possible to simply cut the cable and replace it, or do I have to replace the entire system?
rony_22
As I understand you want to connect the speakers of that DAV system to a different receiver. Cables in those systems came with coloured plugs for easy set up.
Now one way is to cut the plugs and connect them to any receiver but that would make them useless in case you want to sell the set.
Best way is to sell it all together and get different speakers and cabling.
There should be only two conductors and (hopefully, at least) one will somehow be marked, giving an indication of polarity.        Just cut off the connector and determine, with a aaa battery, which lead is positive.      That lead, touched to the positive of the battery,  will move the woofer outward/forward.       Connect that lead to the +/red speaker terminal, of your receiver.       
Just a heads up. Some HT systems have equalization for the supplied loudspeakers and my not sound as good without it. 
"...Speaker cords? I think my mom used to call them that..."

I'm pretty sure half the guys on the AVForum are using lamp cord...so there's that.