Mahler vs. Strauss

I find that the sound picture of Mahler’s orchestration is more effectively produced in stereo recording than that of Richard Strauss. I think both are superlative orchestrators, but somehow Mahler’s symphonies image better than Strauss’s tone poems on my system. They seem to be fuller, fill the sound stage more effectively, and are easier to reproduce. Not that in any way they sound “bad.” They sound fine, but Mahler’s orchestration seems more effective.
Does anyone else have that impression?
128x128rvpiano
I have not really noticed what you're obviously hearing.  I think newbee's possible explanation makes a lot of sense to me.
To be sure, there's a good deal of Richard Strauss I like.  I truly love the Four Last Songs, the opera Ariadne Auf Naxos (some utterly sublime tunes!) and at least the opening fanfare of Thus Spake Zarathustra.  But yeah, I ultimately find him a little bit pat, noisy and empty. 

By comparison, Mahler conjures up universes you can walk around in and get lost inside of.  He can take you back to the dawn of history, to the first days of our planet. His Ninth Symphony takes you forward in time to a day where the earth is a smoking, poisonous ruin. 
Interesting question! As for the music itself, the short version is that I admire Strauss, but I adore Mahler. This emotional distinction may color my judgement on the sonic differences as well, but I’ll try to be as objective as I possibly can.

According to the experts Strauss had few peers as a orchestrator. But to my ears his arrangements are often very dense and saturated, some would even say perfumed. Although I must make an exception for the expressionist Elektra, an exceptional work in every way. Somehow his music doesn’t sit well with audio reproduction in the home and the sound stage easily gets ’clogged’. However in the concert hall even his most densely orchestrated pieces work very well, perhaps because there’s simply more room for the music to breathe.

Mahlers orchestrations are usually more ventilated and the huge forces required for his symphonies are used sparingly. Apparently the home system can more easily cope with that, perhaps because it gets the opportunity to ’catch its breath’. Of course when all hell breaks loose (or the heavens burst open), no home system can ever hope to reproduce the impact it has in the concert hall. This is an experience like nothing else. Very hard to put into words, but very easy to recall. Like that one time I heard the 6th in Vienna by the VPO, especially the finale. Just thinking about it brings me the shivers.....