Harbeth 30.1, 30.2, XD

I have 30.1s. Is there an actual sound difference between them and the 30.2 or XDs? I’ve searched around but I can’t seem to find an answer.
dhcod
I'm quite happy with my 30.1, though admittedly haven't had any extended listening sessions with the newer versions. I'd be more likely to try something quite different before upgrading slightly within the same model line.
I recently bought the 30.2 XD’s.

The new Monitor M30.2 XD is an update of the M30.2 40th Anniversary Edition, which in turn was an update of the M30.1, and the M30 which in turn was a significant refinement to the original BBC LS5/9 upon which it is based. With each new model has come sonic improvements that are the result of decades of research and finessing.

The M30.2 Anniversary model sports better performance WBT ‘Nextgen’ binding posts, Harbeth’s ‘new-look’ tweeter, and upgraded audiophile-grade polyester capacitors that are made in England specifically for Harbeth.

The 30.2 XD in turn has all the Anniversary model upgrades and then some. Alan Shaw is constantly on the lookout for ways to improve the sound quality of his products and the crossover and internal wiring is the place to find to the largest gains. His latest measurement techniques are said to enable a “microscopic” representation of the frequency response, where it can uncover the smallest irregularities so they can be smoothed out. The connection terminals have been changed, so they now go directly to the circuit board, in addition to higher quality capacitors used in the crossover and upgraded internal wiring.

Harbeth manufactures one of its tweeters, the one used in the 30.2 is made especially for it by SEAS, and is made to a different specification than the tweeter used in the Monitor 30.1, even though that one is also made by SEAS for Harbeth.

A further audio refinement comes from following HARBETH’s recommendations for speaker stands. Ideally, the tweeter should be at ear level when the listener is seated. Harbeth doesn’t make its own stands but recommends the UK-based Hi-Fi Racks Ltd brand and Germany’s TonTraeger brand.

https://www.tontraeger-audio.com/lang/en/Reference_Stand_Harbeth_P3.html

I had the TT’s bespoke cloned by an expert local master wood craftsman as an upgrade to my prior TARGET steel stands - the new ones work as advertised.
@twoleftears @Ryder comments are spot on.  This also applies to Harbeth 40.1 and 40.2 Anniversaries as well.  Both great speakers, but I find the 40.2's are more difficult to place and benefit from room treatment.
I would stick with the old model newer speakers tend to sound thin and bright with the sound all about the soundstage and not about natural tone or a musical tone.
I was blown away when I first heard the 30.2 40th anniversary editions in my system.  Bought it on the spot. Then I was even more impressed by the Graham Audio version of the LS5/9, sold the Harbeths after extensive a/b testing. Much more open sounding, much nicer treble. Minimal if any drawbacks. Graham Audio may be the modern pinnacle of the original BBC speaker. Harbeth is better than most speakers out there, but they get a LOT of hype.