I have a macbook pro going into a benchmark DAC - what's the best upgrade path?

when I stopped using my sony ES5400 CDP with my DAC and switched to using my macbook, I kind of expected a loss in sound quality (because people say computers are 'noisy'), but I didn't notice any - and of course I love the convenience. I'm happy with the sound of the benchmark, so there are server-streamers without DACs I could try, and the claim is that they have higher-quality parts, so they'd be less noisy, but the reviews I've seen make me think the main reason to do this would be the bells and whistles (album covers, interface, etc.), not so much the sound, i.e. reducing whatever 'noise' the computer's adding might be a pretty small upgrade.

I've also read that shunyata's digital AC cord (V14 digital) would improve the sound (I'm already using a standard shunyata AC cable); that'd be an easy thing to try, but I'm mostly curious to hear people's opinions about using a server-streamer vs. using a computer. thanks.
musicslug
Keep your present setup. Stay away from any power cord labeled as "digital"! A computer works just as good as any four-figure streamer!
Which Benchmark DAC do you have? If it's a DAC1 you might look into a DAC2 or 3 as an upgrade path. If it is a DAC2 have you installed the most recent firmware chip from Benchmark? I have a Benchmark DAC2 HGC that I am very happy with. Benchmark states the DAC2 with current firmware is close enough in preformance to the DAC3 to not justify upgrading so that was good enough for me.

I can't comment from experience regarding the Macbook but I recently upgraded from a Bluesound Node 2i to a Aurender N100H and the differences where noticable. The sound quality improved and the interface is much better than the bluOS app. I would think the biggest area for improvement on the MacBook would be in the power supply. 
Best upgrade path will be to search for an RIAA app to run the Mac as a phono stage for your ultimate upgrade, a turntable.
thanks for the responses.
guy-incognito: I have the DAC3.

millercarbon: I have a CAT pre w/phono, so I'm very happy with that part of my system.