Biggest audio hoaxes

Often when people discuss audio, they talk about "snake oil" or "hoaxes."

It's pretty typical to use the term hoax as a tactic against another who disagrees with one, or holds an unusual opinion or vouches for something which has not been verified. That's not what I mean by a "hoax." 

By "hoax" I mean an audio product or claim which has been pretty definitively disproved. Maybe not to everyone's satisfaction, but to common consensus.

So -- with that definition of hoax in mind, what are some of the biggest audiophile hoaxes you've heard of?
128x128hilde45

"Hi Geoff, Just a quick note to let you know how impressed I am with the Teleportation Tweak to the U.K. I have tried a number of accessories from the likes of Walker Audio, Enacom etc, and the Teleportation Tweak is in a different league. At $60 it’s a no brainer!"
"The best one though was also the most expensive. For $1200 he would call you on the phone, and using his magic quantum powers your music would sound better, and fast, fast as your credit card payment takes to clear."

Well miller, you were only off by $1140. Where do you get all your erroneous information? You seem quite hostile toward and preoccupied with a guy who can’t even defend himself here. You were instrumental in getting him banned, no? You consistently bash his company for its products-which you have never tried and have zero experience with- and his ’word salad’, yet you tout the likes of Synergistic Research, no? Indeed, go to their site and read their quantum this, and quantum that ’word salad’. I personally have never tried one of their products, so I cannot comment as to their efficacy. Interesting how some in life have such a hypocritical double standard and play so loose with actual facts.

@slaw Yes, of course. Slaw has been using springs for years. His wall-mounted shelving system is well worth checking out.
Thanks @bdp24.
In fairness, MC walks the walk and don't forget, we all stand on the shoulders of others.
  • "You were instrumental in getting him banned, no?"

Geoff was banned? What evidence is there for that? Not refuting the statement, just curious. 

Frank
The design of the Townshend Pod was clearly explained in detail here quite a while ago, several times. I was contacted privately in regard to my postings on them by several members, who also posted about them. All the while the new convert ignored the Townshend products, not to mention the springs offered by Geoff Kait (which are also worthwhile).

Speaking of GK, he and I discussed in public the benefits vs. penalties of employing damping with a spring; the Townshend design includes a form of damping (which I referred to as brilliant), Geoff’s springs don’t. Kait made his case against damping, I defended it. It’s all on the record. Also covered were Max Townshend’s earlier isolation platform, the Seismic Sink. I at one time owned and used eight of them, now having replaced all but three with Pods. The sink uses top and bottom damped metal plates separated by an inner tube (or two, or three, depending on the weight capacity), an idea dating back to the 1950’s (though I learned of it in the mid-80’s from Frank Van Alstine).

I cited the YouTube videos in which Max Townshend explains the design of the Pod, and demonstrates it’s effectiveness in providing isolation, and Geoff went so far as to provide links to the various videos. So the only reason one would not know about---and realize the possible benefits provided by---the Townshend isolation products, is because one chose to ignore them. In one posting I stated I was giving up mentioning them, as people continued to cling to their belief in whatever other means of achieving isolation they preferred, the carbon fiber shelves of BDR (Black Diamond Racing) being a common one. Though the BDR products are great (I own them too), they are not capable of doing what the Townshend Seismic products do. It’s great that more people have had their eyes opened to that fact.

Anyway, if you have yet to try one of the Townshend Seismic products, consider it. Buying the Pods is much cheaper than the platforms which include sets of Pods, so if you already have a nice shelf the Pods are the way to go. Try one set, and see if you hear the benefits. But as with all "systems" (interconnects and speaker cables, power cords and conditioners), the results are maximized if you fit your entire hi-fi with them. Every chain in the link is quite capable of "blocking" low-level information, which may "mask" any improvement wrought further backstream. Max and John recommend starting with the speakers, as their improved sound will make improvements further back in the system more audible.