Biggest audio hoaxes

Often when people discuss audio, they talk about "snake oil" or "hoaxes."

It's pretty typical to use the term hoax as a tactic against another who disagrees with one, or holds an unusual opinion or vouches for something which has not been verified. That's not what I mean by a "hoax." 

By "hoax" I mean an audio product or claim which has been pretty definitively disproved. Maybe not to everyone's satisfaction, but to common consensus.

So -- with that definition of hoax in mind, what are some of the biggest audiophile hoaxes you've heard of?
128x128hilde45
My only response is.

I never refer to myself in the third person

I always write from personal experience.
@noromance and @slaw speak the truth. Though they aren’t the type to loudly take credit for discovering spring isolation, a search for their contributions on that subject will be rewarding. As will a search for postings related to the Townshend Audio Seismic Pod---from a number of people including myself---which were for years ignored by a certain Audiogon member while he continued to loudly proclaiming and insist that the BDR carbon fiber shelves were what advanced audiophiles such as himself used to achieve isolation.

Well, better late than never, right? Every class has it’s slow learner. ;-)
Or maybe its the teacher? The record shows everything changed the minute it was clearly explained. 

"Hi Geoff, Just a quick note to let you know how impressed I am with the Teleportation Tweak to the U.K. I have tried a number of accessories from the likes of Walker Audio, Enacom etc, and the Teleportation Tweak is in a different league. At $60 it’s a no brainer!"
"The best one though was also the most expensive. For $1200 he would call you on the phone, and using his magic quantum powers your music would sound better, and fast, fast as your credit card payment takes to clear."

Well miller, you were only off by $1140. Where do you get all your erroneous information? You seem quite hostile toward and preoccupied with a guy who can’t even defend himself here. You were instrumental in getting him banned, no? You consistently bash his company for its products-which you have never tried and have zero experience with- and his ’word salad’, yet you tout the likes of Synergistic Research, no? Indeed, go to their site and read their quantum this, and quantum that ’word salad’. I personally have never tried one of their products, so I cannot comment as to their efficacy. Interesting how some in life have such a hypocritical double standard and play so loose with actual facts.

More to discover