Biggest audio hoaxes

Often when people discuss audio, they talk about "snake oil" or "hoaxes."

It's pretty typical to use the term hoax as a tactic against another who disagrees with one, or holds an unusual opinion or vouches for something which has not been verified. That's not what I mean by a "hoax." 

By "hoax" I mean an audio product or claim which has been pretty definitively disproved. Maybe not to everyone's satisfaction, but to common consensus.

So -- with that definition of hoax in mind, what are some of the biggest audiophile hoaxes you've heard of?
128x128hilde45
The hoax that new speakers have somehow solved a problem of sound quality over a good vintage speaker is the biggest lie in all of audio and until you try one you will never know what your music can truly sound like.
The old magazine advertisements of new audio equipment featuring attractive women.... the promise of getting girls over.
"....the Ultimate in sound reproduction."

Oh, okay.
So....after the THD went to 3 places to the right of the decimal point, and the other specs seem to be 'generally acceptable', we're left with nuance and Speakers.

And the latter.....make us crazy.  Not because it's Bad....it's just not Real Enough.....

So....this Next Great Thing will get you.....

.00000000000000000000000000000000000000001% Closer....

....will do just that.

Cool.  I'll get around to that when I stop enjoying where I find myself. :)

Good weekend, J
More to discover