Biggest audio hoaxes

Often when people discuss audio, they talk about "snake oil" or "hoaxes."

It's pretty typical to use the term hoax as a tactic against another who disagrees with one, or holds an unusual opinion or vouches for something which has not been verified. That's not what I mean by a "hoax." 

By "hoax" I mean an audio product or claim which has been pretty definitively disproved. Maybe not to everyone's satisfaction, but to common consensus.

So -- with that definition of hoax in mind, what are some of the biggest audiophile hoaxes you've heard of?
128x128hilde45
Low sensitive box speakers can sound dynamic with super powerful amplification.
It is not true because thermal distortions.
I'm in a funny business, I make mouthpieces and saxophones for some pretty heavy hitters and although I don't engage in it, lots of people in the business do all kinds of gimmicky type things and back it with heavy advertising and musicians that need press so they endorse it then lots of inexperienced kids and players believe the hype and buy into it then post on forums about how great it is then the business takes off  but usually eventually it dies off but in the meantime they make a lot of money.

I  bought into it when I recently bought a pair of Tekton Double Impacts.  I backed them with a premium amp and wow, what a disappointment.  There's a saying "the hardest thing to see  is the  thing right before  your eyes" 
The hoax that new speakers have somehow solved a problem of sound quality over a good vintage speaker is the biggest lie in all of audio and until you try one you will never know what your music can truly sound like.
More to discover