Jeff Rowland Corus versus Audio Research Ref 6

Has anyone compared the JR Corus to the Audio Research Ref 6? From a technical perspective, will the Ref 6 work well with the Jeff Rowland 625 S2 amp?
ricred1
Hi Richard, have you considered adding a Rowland supercap-based PSU (Power Storage Unit) external supercap-based power supply to power your Corus.... As you Know, I have used PSU on my Rowland Aeris DAC for a couple of years and it has raised the performance of Aeris to new heights.

BTW, Rowland has just introduced a new version of its CAPRI preamplifier called Capri S2SC. This new version  incorporates an integrated supercapacitor-based power supply to run the preamplifier essentially offline, just like the Aeris+PSU pair.... or the Corus+PSU pair.

I have auditioned at length Capri S2 at RMAF and absolutely loved it for its precision and musicality. I have not tried Capri S2SC yet, but have heard of a report from Spain according to which the integration of the internal super-cap-based power supply has much elevated Capri's emotionality to a "Lyrical" level. I would not mention this except for the fact that this admittedly broad and qualitative finding is consistent with the wonderful enhancement that PSU had brought to my Aeris DAC.

Regards, Guido

Guido,
As always it's good hearing from you and I hope all is well.

I still haven’t tried the PSU. I’ve heard mixed views about it and there are many different ways to upgrade my system for $8K. I can’t justify spending money without hearing it first.
I agree with you completely Richard.... Adding an $8K component to a system sight unseen (or should I say hearing unheard) is inherently an anxiety-generating proposition.

Good news is that Galen Carol in your San Antonio should easily be able to let you listen to PSU powering your Corus.... Even if Galen had to get a fresh unit from the factory, it would take only some 75 to 100 hours of operation for PSU to fully bloom.

G.

Awesome to see an old thread like this being resurrected by the OP! I have nothing to add never heard any ARC or JR but great to have the update @ricred1  It's always great when someone goes out on a limb and reports back even 5 years later.
jond,

Thanks. I'm just sharing my experience and my comments are not meant to be an indictment against the Ref. 6 or an endorsement of the Corus. My experience reminds me that I can't just take what some say are great sounding components and combine them to form a great sounding system. Synergy is really an important "component" of building a great system.