Diagonal Connection With Two Pairs Of Binding Posts

This is from the Chord website:

"As a general rule, the treble connections are usually reckoned to produce better sound quality than the bass connections. However, in many cases, we find that a diagonal connection produces the most musically coherent sound. To do this, connect the positive (+) speaker cable to the positive treble connection and the negative speaker cable (-) to the negative bass connection. So in effect, the cable is connected diagonally. This is quick, easy and fun to do and the results are easy to hear."

I decided to try this today on my Harbeth SHL5+ speakers. Previously, my cables were connected to the lower posts (LF).

I listened to very familiar music for a couple of hours and the change was significant and for the better. The high frequencies were clearer without being bright. The soundstage was wider and overall sound had more presence.

I was not aware that a diagonal connection was an option.

Has anyone tried this? What were the results?

I left the jumpers in place. Should they stay in place in a diagonal set up?

Would appreciate your thoughts/comments.

ericsch
@ericsch ,
I would be remiss if I didn't mention that if possible, try two pair of cables, of the same make, to see if you hear further improvement. They needn't be expensive nor do they have to exactly match.

I'm using a 10GA cable for the lows and 12GA cables for the highs from the same manufacturer and this set up easily beat any combo of jumpers and connectors I've tried. It's what Richard Vanderstein recommends and as it turned out, for me, he's right.

Good luck in your quest and, all the best,
Nonoise
you should only remove the jumpers if you biwire the speaker using all four connectors with an amp capable of such a connection or two amplifiers i you are using a diagonal connection you leave them in but i always use the bass connectors with jumpers but to get much better sound make your own jumpers with high quality wire and the difference will be far greater than any connection options.
one person’s experience to report -- tried over 5-6-7 pairs of speakers over the last 20 years (epos, proacs (2 sets), spendors, vandersteen, ariel, sonus faber) with wire from aq cardas canare wireworld qed kimber mapleshade

had spouse, other family members, or friends do the swaps blind - i could NEVER reliably call the configuration or reliably tell which was superior (i never tried the diagonal thing...)

end of story for me... so i say its b-s

one person’s experience