Audeze vs. HIFIMan vs. ??

Hello all, I'm in the market for a set of open-back over the ear headphones. My current price range is $800-1200 or so. I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 PROs but while comfortable, leave a bit to be desired in sound quality. I think some of their deficiency has to with the fact that they are close-backed. It's not like they're horrible but as with most things audio, there's always better. <g>

I like the idea of planar magnetics vs. traditional drivers. They strike me as being "electrostatic-like" without the added complexity of having to energize stators.

I've been seeing the brands mentioned above and would be interested in hearing people's, preferably current owners, opinion of them.

Thank you in advance. Happy Listening.
128x128musicfan2349
Of my open backs I have Beyerdynamic T1, Audeze LCD2, and Hifiman HEX, but my favorite is Sennheiser HD800. I put some Deconi Hybrid earpads on them which improved the sound and increased comfort. They have the best soundstage and do not sound analytical to me.
Thank you for mentioning earpads.  I've bought many used headphones and that's always the first thing I do is replace the earpads.  I've also done that with most of the headphones I've bought new and it has resulted in better comfort in every case.  A lot of earpads are thin and your ear may be on or very close to the driver, which can affect the sound and comfort.  I haven't noticed a huge difference in sound as a result of changing earpads (it's hard to A/B!), but I know many people do.  It's worth it for the comfort alone.  Audeze has some of the best stock earpads in my experience.
+1 for Focals. I had both the Hifiman Arya and Focal Clears for more than a year. Both are excellent headphones, but I found the Clears to be better all-rounders with all kinds of music. The Aryas were good but sometimes the music felt a bit 'plasticky', for lack of a better word. It had better soundstaging than the Clear, but not enough dynamics and bass punch. There was something about the Clear that just felt more satisfying and wholesome.

I ordered Audeze LDC-3 and returned them within the trial window. They're quite good in their own way, but man you feel the weight after about 30 minutes of listening.

All three have their fans and detractors. Each does something better than the other. The best approach is to buy all three from vendors with good return policy, and keep the one you like the best.