Can Streamed Music Sound Better than any other source?

I am about to make the leap. Jumping into a Server or is it a Streamer? To use existing DAC-Oppo 203- or upgrade? I love the concept of access to all the music on line. So I don't actually own any of it-thats fine. Buying downloads adds up quickly. $20/month sounds like a bargain.  Roon's system looks appealing. I can add Tidal and be done, right? I get a lot of great counsel from my old school expert at the HiFi store I support locally but he can't even spell stream.
I was born in the 50's and want to use this listening option now. As this technology is still evolving, I am not inclined to overspend on gear that may be as valuable as a VCR in a year or two.
In the end I want to know if I can have this new source sounding better than CDs and LPs. I am not going back to reel-to-reel so if that is best source, please ignore it as it regards my purposes.
Thank you. I look forward to learning from the responses!!
128x128firstnot
I was skeptical about streaming and HDD audio storage....  I messed around ripping cds via computer to a hard drive, and while convenient to play it was a pain adding new music....

Then I bought a Bluesound Vault 2i and it changed my life....     I did a trial subscription to Tidal and the sound quality is awesome.    I was using my OPPO 103 to access songs on a hard drive but the Vault is so much better.   

I can access the Vault through my OPPO and control it via IR remote and see album art on the TV or just use the BluOS app on my phone or tablet to control it.

It has two way Blutooth communication so a guest can stream to it or the Vault can stream to a tablet.  

I did not expect it to sound that great through it's analog outs but I was wrong.   MQA files for the most part sound great, like any format there are a few that didn't impress but I have to believe it's the original source material.   It sounds so good that it's hard to say which is better , it's output with MQA or the 96k stream my DAC sees...  I will say one thing.  I won't replace my current DAC until I can afford one that sounds better and can unfold MQA.
I am yet to find any streaming service (internet or thru home server) that sounds better than popping an CD or vinyl.

However, the convenience during listening sessions is tremendous.  The overall pleasure gained is definitely worth the mildly compromised sound quality.

I have a much superior system than I might otherwise because I did NOT expend thousands on an analogue rig, and further thousands, and perhaps tens of thousands, on a vinyl collection. I do not believe I would enjoy the gratification I have now had I pursued aggressively an analog setup. It would have killed the means to achieve a wider experience of systems, which is my true joy. That may not be true for everyone, but if I am the sole exception, I am content to be it!  :) 

Comments about sources made out of context of particular audio systems imo are of little value. 

As I have gotten older, I have placed a premium on quality versus quantity. To me, streaming doesn't sound particularly good at all, but you get the convenience of access to a large quantity of recorded music, and running a playlist from a tablet. OTOH, physical media sounds best to me (I'm a shiny silver disc guy), and provides a much higher quality listening experience in all respects.