If a blind guy can use a Rega Planar 3 ...

could he also use a Planar 8?

Here's why I ask: Though I lost most all of my sight some 25 years ago now, retaining peripheral light perception but not much else, I regularly play records on a Planar 3. I know the drill, have the feel down, etc. But now I've got the upgrade itch, and was thinking about getting a Rega Planar 8, until I read about the dustcover, which has even plenty of sighted folks complaining about the difficulties presented in setting it on the table correctly without potentially causing real problems. Like smacking the dustcover into the cartridge, even. Yikes!

My question, especially for those who've got a Planar 8: Could you imagine that someone who operates in the world by touching things could position the dustcover on correctly by feel alone? (I'd have written "Could you imagine placing the dustcover on correctly with your eyes closed," but that would likely seem impossible, as would most things I now routinely do after two and a half decades of practice.) I understand that there's a locator pin to position it correctly. Could one perhaps feel that, feel also the hole or slot it fits into, and go from there, or would such an operation be too perilous?

Which leads to this: If the Planar 8 proves to be impractical for a blind music lover who enjoys spinning records -- yes, I also play CDs and stream -- should I simply settle for a Planar 6, which would have the familiarity (in shape and design), or are there alternatives -- let's say of not more than $4,00 for TT and cartridge -- I should consider? I'll add this: What some folks consider a real drawback of Rega 'tables, their lack of adjustability, is a definite benefit for me. The closer to plug-and-play, the better. My wife, who is a professor, is terrifically smart, but her strengths lie in the humanities, not in turntable setup. A turntable we can get at a shop, can have them set up fully, and that we can transport back home, perhaps resting comfortably on a comforter on the backseat (and that isn't likely to go out of song in so doing) would be preferable. That's what we did with the P3, and would rule out, say, a Linn LP12, to use just one obvious example.

Sorry for the longwinded post, but I figured more information than less would be best in such a situation.

And thanks so very much for any help you good folk can provide. As I said, I know I could play CDs or stream, both of which I do plenty, but I do still like playing records, have a decent-sized collection, and would like to upgrade from the P3.

-- Howard

hodu
The P3's dustcover is removable. I keep mine on out of convenience's sake. However. if you're hankering to upgrade, trust yourself to muscle memory for whatever you get.
I have a Planar 8 and generally use the rear guide to help set down the cover after use.

I think you could manage it because I think you'd be able to figure out the shape.  There's space between the cover and the tone arm.

Another option is to not use the cover very often.
Another idea, put your Rega on a Townshend Platform. This will be equal to a turntable upgrade in performance, but with hardly any learning curve to use it.

I know this will work because another guy did it with his Rega and was really happy. The Rega is a pretty light table so you will want to talk with John Hannant at Townshend to get the info on exactly how they made it work with the other guys Rega. I think they either made a thicker shelf for it, or used an extra one, but somehow they added mass and this was the recipe for success.

While you are at it, put some Synergistic Research PHT on it. Get Green Dream and Black Widow, put one of each on the cartridge or headshell. Green Dream is very liquid and deep, Black Beauty is very detailed and dynamic, the combination is to die for!  

PHT are really small. Have your wife put them on there, or if you drop one you will never find it! Synergistic has placement info and you can also have her look at my system pics for how I have done mine.     

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367    
Get a set of ECT, put them on the table as well. These can go on the base of the arm, on the plinth, and on or near the motor. Have her look at my system pics to see where I have put mine. These are just ideas. You will be able to hear each one of these and if you hear a nice improvement leave it, move onto the next one. If you don't hear any improvement, move it. More often than not though you will hear a small but nice improvement with greater detail and image resolution. 

These changes will be like a whole new table, but with hardly any learning curve and without any risk of problems like you will have with the dust cover.