Insuring Your Vinyl Collection and Equipment

My insurance company will not insure my vinyl and CD collection as part of my home insurance policy. It basically is beyond them how to deal with the collection of a couple thousand records.

Looking for suggestions on where and how you've insured your collection and even your equipment.

Thank you!
128x128jcbach
“Wow”!
as a 41 year insurance agent I’m a bit shocked but not totally. To those of you that think you know about everything, including insurance, you know little about my industry/career and you are wrong (oldhymec).

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What part shocked you? That the agents when my stuff got stolen, didn’t know their A$$ from a hole in the ground or what? I was treated like some kind of a nut UNTILL, I contacted my lawyer.

Don’t tell me how insurance people are. The CLOWN that wrote the original policy 35 years ago, was good at one thing.. Sending me notices how he would like to review my policy, it may need some attention. BUT never once showed up before or after the kid stole the gear. The field agent was assigned because I requested someone that knew what I was talking about..

the 80/20 or in this case 90/10 rule applies. 10% of the people do 90% of the work and in this case had 100% of the knowledge.

I’m serious, the original adjuster had me at 5,000.00 the revised list was OVER 50K.. How friggin’ misinformed can an agent BE? SHE (not my agent) had a check cut with 75% noted as "could not find comps". BUT sure wanted me to sign off their lazy little bit of work.. Under two weeks.. It took me TWO years to find all the stuff, and STILL didn’t get reimbursed for the master tapes.. THOUSANDS.. and the same with the NOS valves, there was 50K in valves in the foot locker alone..

This was a real pisser. The tube EQ was a prototype from Dave Manley, really one of a kind.. 3K maybe..
Valued at 100.00 new and depreciated 90%. It was worth 10.00 dollars. It had appreciated to over 6K, but trying to explain that to a DUMB person made it hard.. To say the least.. THEY KNEW.. Dummy!!!

I think I got 15K 30 sets of quads NOS GL KT88, Mullard EL34s Set after set of RCA 6L6 BPs and at least 300 signal valves. It was part of my nest egg.

There was a separate foot locker of used valves. IF I wouldn’t have had pictures of the end of the foot lockers "TWO". BTW the agent was a valve head too. He had 3 Melody 6L6 rigs..

THE WHOLE time the guy that wrote the policy sits in his office while I figure out WHERE the heck my stuff went... One cop helped me, and I help him. The gun got peoples attention.. Scared the kid too.. they didn’t fit him up for the gun, but it could have cost him YEARS.. He was 19 yeas old from MD and had "Form". They could have stuck him for 20 years... Local traffic stop, The 8 - 10 Reel to Reels were in the back seat with my name on them..

Replacement, kinda.. there are time limits to get totally reimbursed and if you can’t find a replacement.. you get 50-90% reduction AND the ol bums rush..

Insurance agents, as agent go, Gregg was a STAR, the three that proceeded him were WORTHLESS.. To busy doing it wrong, to get it RIGHT. It was simple, they would not listen, AND didn’t want to learn..

AN OLD HEAVY MECHANICS nightmare.
I was in a fire and everything burned up. Just because your belongings were insured for X $$$, it doesn’t mean squat on what you might get from the insurance company. To issue a claim against that insured value, you have to specify how many forks you lost, how many pairs of pants, and which albums burned up. I had musical instruments that burned up and to prove what I had, I had pics and in some cases, paperwork in an offsite savings box that proved my claim. In 1978, I tried to insure my audio equipment and they told me I couldn’t because the ratio of audio equipment value against the value of the house was not as great as what they required, I couldn’t insure my audio equipment
fuzztone, I've tightened a LOT of catalytic converter bolts.. Robbers foiled in the midst of their capers.. Alarms going off and them booging.

Who would have thunk?  Steal your fancy muffler.. the new regens are 15K.. YUP.. for a burner.. AND then you got to clean the stupid thing..
Big ol 15K ashtray, believe it or not.
Why insure your vinyl collection?
It has taken me nearly 60 years to build mine and I don't have another 60 years to rebuild it.
What use is money to replace art?