Insuring Your Vinyl Collection and Equipment

My insurance company will not insure my vinyl and CD collection as part of my home insurance policy. It basically is beyond them how to deal with the collection of a couple thousand records.

Looking for suggestions on where and how you've insured your collection and even your equipment.

Thank you!
128x128jcbach
"...where and how you’ve insured your collection and even your equipment."

I multiplied music into, I think, 12 hard drives/microSD cards and left them in different locations (cities, countries, and continents). Even in cars. Talking about getaway vehicle. Includes digitized records.

If equipment goes, let it go. It is just a bunch of electronic pieces.
“Wow”!
as a 41 year insurance agent I’m a bit shocked but not totally. To those of you that think you know about everything, including insurance, you know little about my industry/career and you are wrong (oldhymec). 
Yes vinyl can be insured. Anything of a intrinsic value potentially can be insured. The carrier only cares, can they make $$$ and is the item “properly” valued.

The carrier wants a proper valuation from a reputable source. I have insured vinyl collections, audio hardware, and crazy stuff for decades.

Simply, proper authenticated appraisals/ valuations are required. Then insurance coverage is available . By the way, this kind of coverage is “All Risk”. Everything is covered including dropping it, losing it, mysterious disappearance
etc. I sell policies very inexpensively with no deductible. Consult your local “Good Neighbor” agent.

If anybody has any insurance questions please ask me. Happy to help everyone here!

Dave

State Farm insurance has a policy that will cover audio gear and related items including a music collection so check them out i have used them for over twenty years in this fashion.
If anybody has any insurance questions please ask me. Happy to help.

Yes, I have a question. My home owners policy has a “Contents” coverage of $353,000. If my house was to be totally destroyed along with the contents am I going to have to provide proof that I had $353,000 worth of contents or is the insurance company just going to write me a check for the coverage amount I paid for? I didn’t request this amount of coverage. It was arbitrarily put on by the insurance company.